11. Ricky

Mother was suspecting something.

Over the past week I kept disappearing without my sisters, giving vague excuses to justify my exits. So I have to do this in order to keep her mind off my back.

Which means, a date with Ella.

I'm in the limousine on my way to her house, giving myself a little pep talk.
"Alright gee, just focus on the meal. Maybe Ella isn't that bad. She might have a...resting what again? Oh, resting b**ch face, like Jackie said."

How funny, I'm actually motivated by my own words.

The car stops and Ella steps in the limousine. Her blonde hair is loose on her back and her body is strapped in a black satin dress.
"Good evening, Miss Danford. May I say you are beautiful in this black dress."
"Thank you, your Majesty." she replies politely, taking place."Where are we going tonight?"
I roll my eyes. "Unfortunately I haven't been informed of the location of the restaurant we're eating at. You already noticed my parents are... secretive folks."
"Indeed I have." she said, staring at the window, so I don't bother adding anything else.

We arrive at an Italian restaurant about 30 minutes after we pick Ella at her mansion. I hurry up to open the door for the blonde, and she storms out of the limousine without a look for me.

At least I don't have to worry about breaking her heart. She makes it pretty clear she's not into me.

The waitress guides us to our table once I give my name. We sit down in the back of the restaurant, in a booth where we can't been seen from the inside or the other customers of the place.

After the waitress leaves with our drink orders - Red wine for me and champagne for Ella - I sigh while looking at the menu.
"You don't know what's on the menu, right?" guesses Ella with an arked eyebrow.
"Yes", I reluctantly admit, "and I hate pastas."

She eyes me like I've grown two heads.
"What does his Majesty eat then?"
"Rice."
"You find rice in Africa?"

I wish she truly believed I was from Africa, but the girl already went in Hispaniola for her summer vacations. Two years ago.

I'm way too tired to think of a proper comeback so I just roll my eyes and look back at the menu.

"Have you decided yet what you will order?" says the waitress, giving us our drinks.
"It'll be the alfredo fettucinis for me", declares Ella in a suffisant tone.

Again, I roll my eyes.

"And for you sir?"
"I'll go with bruschettas."
"Alright, be right back."

We hand her the menus and she leaves for the kitchens. Ella applies more red lipstick on her lips, using her phone camera as a mirror.

We don't talk much for the rest of the dinner. Both Ella and I text on our phones while drinking in our glasses. When our food comes, Ella first watches me eat. I quickly grow uncomfortable.
"Hum... you okay?"
Ella smirks a little.
"You like it?"
"Like what?"
"The bruschettas."
"Yes. Is it why you've been looking at me like that?"
"No, I was wondering what she sees in you. Other than the tattoos, of course."

I swallow my bite, staring at the blonde heiress. Did she come here with me only to annoy the heck out of me?

"As far as I'm concerned, I don't think it's any of your business." I dryly reply.
She scoffs and finally starts eating.

We remain quiet until the end of our meal. I pay the bill and we walk out of the restaurant. As we step out the door, she grabs my arm, ignoring my infuriated look.
"What are you doing?" I hiss.

She smirks and shrugs her shoulders. She almost drags me to the limousine and answers me once we're off to my hotel.

"People will have to know we're a thing before we get married." she explains with a dramatic expression.
"You're not my girlfriend." I state.
"Right. I'm your fiancée. That's a French word, you should be able to understand what it means."
"You don't even like me, what do you get from this?" I ask, ignoring what she just called herself.
"Simple. I mean business. My future business gets to implement fabrics in Hispaniola with cheap workers. I just assure myself the growth of my personal fortune."

I don't say anything at first. It's kind of smart. But then a question hits me.
"What if my sister changes the laws in order to prevent you from exploiting Hispaniolans workers?"

I don't even consider my dad, because he doesn't care about those issues that much.

"I'll make her sign a contract forbidding her to do so." Ella shrugs her shoulders, like it's not something she's worried about. It might actually be the case : She doesn't seem to see us like a threat.

"What about me? Will I have to sign something too?" I spit.
"We call that a wedding contract you silly."
"It's not happening." I declare stubbornly, crossing my arms on my chest.
"Your Majesty, in the real world, we don't always get what we want."
"You won't have my kingdom."
"True. I'll have your parents'." she adds, ending the conversation.

The second the limousine stops, I jump out of my seat and rush inside. I don't want to have anything to do with the blonde brat behind me.
"Ricky?"
I stop and turn around at the sound of her voice.
"I didn't know you had a shift." I speak softly, walking toward my real girlfriend, behind the front desk.

She is in the middle of pulling her hair up in a messy bun. I grab her wrists to make her hair fall on her shoulders.
"I missed you." I whisper, pecking her forehead.

She hugs me, which takes me off guard. Usually she doesn't want me to be this close to her at work.

"Huhum."
I growl and snap my head to Ella, staring at us with a superior look. Jackie jumps back, quickly bringing her hands in her hair.
"My parents are last level, you can go by yourself." I say.
"You must be the prince's mistress." Says Ella to Jackie, ignoring my comment.

The brunette tenses up, shooting daggers with her eyes.
"For your information, I ain't nobody's mistress." she finally replies in an ice-cold voice.

Even Ella looks surprised by Jackie's response, but she quickly recovers from the reply.
"For your information, I'm the one paparazzi go to when it comes to rumors regarding Ricky. In the media's world, I'm dating Ricky. Watch your backs girl."

With that she walks away with a grin on her face. I curl my hands into fists.
"La sale petite peste [the dirty little brat]", I say, incredibly mad.
"Ricky it's fine, don't let her go under your skin." Jackie says.

I reach for her hand but she shakes her head. "You'll call me tomorrow? I gotta get back to work."
"There's nobody there, baby, come on." I plead.
"Ricky, just go. I'll see you around."
"You know I won't leave you all worried and miserable because of one rich girl."
"But-"

I cup her face in my hands and shut her up by kissing her.
"Listen" I say, "No matter how crazy my life gets you and me are here to stay. Understood?"

She buries her head in my chest as an answer.
"You should really be going though." She adds after a while.
"I'll come around three o'clock to stop you from falling asleep then." I settle, grinning.

She shooes me with her hands, grinning as well.