16. Jackie

I don't know how I'm going to get through this, but I have to.

When I woke up this morning to go to work, I was litterally into prince Richard's embrace, and it felt so good it hurts. I jumped when my sister walked in the room.
"Sweet dreams?" she wondered, eyeing Ricky suspiciously.
"I swear, he -"
"I knew he was here, don't worry about it."
"But I should! And I shouldn't be sleeping with a man if I'm not married to him!"
She sighed at my antics and sat next to me, rubbing my hair.
"Baby girl, I don't think his parents are gonna keep up with this. He looks just as bad as you. Look at him sleeping! The queen must be worried sick! "
"Oh no, if somebody sees him here my life is over!" I panicked.

So Janet helped me put him in the back seat of his sports car and I drove him to his hotel, which isn't far from my new job anyway. The bodyguard dragged him to bed for me and off I was to clean some dance floor in a studio nearby.

Jackson finally leaves after he brought me my lunch and comforted me after Ricky's call. I finally manage to mop the floor and I'm now cleaning the mirrors when the boss walks in, followed by visitors. I go back to the mirrors but my new boss calls me out.
"Hey, look who's coming to visit our studio!"
I turn around and can't help myself to let out a scream. The king and queen of Hispaniola themselves are walking over to my spot. They don't seem surprised to see me, which makes me fear the worst.
"So you work here now?" asks the King with a condescendant tone.
"Yes, your Highness." I mumble under my breath, averting his gaze.
"I'll be in my office when you'll be ready to talk about the renting conditions." adds the boss before leaving.

When I hear the office door being shut, I stand up and head for the exit.
"Jackie come back!" calls the Queen, running? behind me.
"Ma'am I don't want to see any of your family in the moment for obvious reasons, now would you please..."
Why does she have to possess the same blue eyes as her son? I feel like I can't breathe.
"That's why we're here. You're ruining our engagement with Ella's parents because of the press." the King steps in.
"What do you want me to do?"
"Disappear."
My throat tightens.
"What's that mean?"
"We pay for your damn college fees."
"W-what? You would do that?"
"Absolutely, honey." assures me the queen.
"...And what do I have to do in return?"
"You move out of Oakland, heck, out of California until that wedding is done."
Leaving my brother and sister? I don't think I have the strength to leave them like that.
"I'll think about it." I decide.
The king looks like he wants to add something but the queen agrees on leaving me some time and leaves with her husband for the boss's office.

I finish cleaning the mirrors, thinking. I look at my reflection: My brown hair are tight up in a messy bun, I don't wear any makeup (is that a pimple on my chin?!?!?), and I'm wearing denim overalls one size too big with a tee too short for my slim torso. Why did he fell for me?

He is a blue-eyed light skin guy, for goodness sake! He studies at Princeton, not to mention he is a freaking prince! And here he goes, ruining his future and threatening his title by falling in love with some janitor girl. He made me lose my job, my peaceful life, my private life... and I'm still hoping he'll walk in here, sweep me off my feet like I was Cinderella or something. But he won't and he can't.

Some dancers walk out of the restrooms and one of them shout:
"Aren't you the royal hoe of some hot prince?"
My body stiffens and my throat ache from holding back the sobs.
"No."
"Don't listen to that whore, I saw it on the cover page of a magazine too." says another.
"A magazine, you say?" Suddenly I'm rather mad.
"Y-yes."
"Well, can I see it?"
She throws me the magazine and I walk out of the studio to another one.

Here we are. The photo was taken back when we went to the beach together. I am holding his hand while we rush to the waves. I frantically turn the pages. Here, us talking in the hotel lobby. There, me driving him around town. And finally, our first kiss in front of my house. It's all in there. I am mortified.

I dial Janet's number as quickly as I can and she answer right away.
"You saw yourself on that magazine, didn't you?"
"J-jay, what sh-should I d-do?" I sob.
"You're getting an interview with my best friend to clarify this once and for all."
"W-what?" I wasn't expecting her to come up with a plan this fast.
"I said..."
"No, I heard you, how do you know all this? Plus, I have Ricky's parents on my back to leave California to get my college paid. "
"Don't take it." Insisted Janet. "You'll get depressed otherwise. You need Ricky right now and I happen to know how you can have him back."
"I don't feel it, Jay."
"Trust me, it'd be like a therapy. Let's shut down those haters once and for all. " she says in a determined tone I don't know her.