19. Ricky

Up above, the dress Jackie is wearing to the gala :) Is she slaying or what?

"Are you ready, Ricky?"
Alexandra is thrilled about her big event. I, on the other hand, haven't seen Jackie in a week and I terribly miss her. I told her I wanted to see her again, but she said she needed her distance in order to think.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well lately.

"Wow, somebody's going to be impressed!" says MC when she sees me in my black tux.
"Jackie is not invited so I don't see who you are referring to."
"Ella, duh!"
"And stop talking about that commoner all the time, it's depressing." scowls me my mother.

I don't bother replying so I scroll through social networks. It doesn't help much that all of my news feed is filled with Jackie's face.

Wait... They're not even from her account! What's this, Teen Vogue? Cosmopolitan? Seventeen? Elle?

"Alex? Can you check this out please?"
She comes in the living room and bend over my shoulder.
"Rumors. Calm down. I don't think she really could have gotten a modeling contract."
"What if she gives interviews?"
"Unlikely, too. Even you can't reach her, so perfect strangers? I doubt so."

I turn off my phone when my father walks in the room. "Everything is alright, here?"
We all nod.
"Great, he goes on, because miss Danford is waiting for us in the limousine. Hurry up!"

I loudly groan and walk slowly to the elevator. My father follows me and closes the doors behind us.
"Now listen Richard, he hisses, don't mess this up. We need her and she is very aware of that. One wrong step and I send you in France in Political Studies. Understood?"

I don't say anything. I am sick of his threats. I have the American nationality and I am not afraid to use it.

I sit down first in the limousine, Ella on my left. She sips her glass of champagne and pretends she never saw me. I hope Dad, don't sincerely hope I'll make a move after such a cold welcome.

I grab the bottle of champagne as the rest of my family slowly takes place in the automobile. I meet Marie-Claire's hazel eyes filled with concern and I just wave it off.
"I'll be fine", I mouth to her.
She nods to let me know she understands. The ride won't even be a minute long anyway, Alex just wanted a distinguished entrance.

The portier opens up the door for us, and we all go out once at a time. When it's just me and Ella, she clutches to my arm.
"Well hello miss." I snort.
"Forget about her just for tonight, sweetie. I'll make them forget about her tonight."

I know she is talking about the paparazzi and the thought of being photographed with her wrapped around my arm like this makes me sick to the stomach.
"I rather not be photographed at all tonight, I'm not on top of my game." I excuse myself as I step out of the car.

I wave the cameras off and walk in the studio my fists in my pants pockets. I catch Father's disapproval glance, but I avert his gaze and walk straight to the buffet. A reporter joins me.
"Your Majesty won't mind a few questions?"
I shake my head. Anything but spend time with Ella.
"Who did you come with, prince Ricky?" she asks.
"My family." I reply.
"Aw, how nice of you. However, we were wondering if you knew about your ex being here tonight?"
"I don't have any ex."
"I'm talking about Ella Danford, of course!"
"We never were a couple. I'm getting to know her because of a possible alliance between our families, but that is all."

The woman quickly leaves afterwards, making me sigh in relief. At least Jackie will get to hear this someday.

But the journalist isn't the only one to suddenly rush to the back door. The entire room's eyes are glued to that one girl with a red wine dress. Her brown hair are down on her shoulders.

"Miss Coleman?"
"Miss Coleman, any comments?"
"How did you come in? Are you invited?"
"What about the rumors about that photo shoot with Teen Vogue?"

I freeze in place. Jackie's here? Marie-Claire is faster than me: in three steps she is in front of her American friend and is dragging her past me, at the buffet.
"What are you doing here? My father's gonna kill you if my sister don't do it first!" hisses MC.
"I'm just here for Teen Vogue. They wanted me to accompany my interviewer. Marketing strategy, you know? Besides, I need to be gone by 11 p.m. Ella won't mind me - I hope." whispers Jackie.

Marie-Claire breathes in.
"Fine, I'll stay with you to defend Ricky from approaching you. I really wanna know how you scored this cover."
"I have more contacts than I first thought." she winks and heads for one of the press people there.

Marie-Claire joins me.
"I'm surprised you haven't jumped on her yet?" she admits.
"Something is up with her." I scrach my head. "She has been avoiding me all this time and suddenly she walks in a party she is not even invited to? I don't get it."
"Well, she hasn't ran into your arms yet so it really must be for work."
"Yeah, 'work'. She also said 'My interviewer'. Meaning, she got an interview for a magazine! And what is she going to talk about to the papz if not..."
"You", finishes Marie-Claire. "Oh God."

We both remain silent for a few seconds.
"Maybe she was using me", I mutter.
"I would rather read her interview first before jumping to conclusions." Marie-Claire scowls me.
"Very well, now I have two girls to avoid."

And indeed I successfully averted Jackie's dark eyes for the last two hours, as well as Ella's impressive frown. Unfortunately, that party isn't near to end any time soon. I am so bored I am on my Snapchat now - and I hate Snapchat.

"May I have your attention please?" sings Alexandra on the microphone, waving for the crowd to gather around her, on the podium.

We all willingly circle the stage she is standing on as she declares:
"Thanks to all of you for attending this event, especially our non-Hispaniolan guests, for the interest you have found in our dear country."

The crowd applauses while I roll my eyes. I'm surprised she actually acknowledges there is Hispaniolans here because I myself haven't been told so. Plus, wasn't it supposed to be Alex's way to gain attention from the medias? Another reason to roll my eyes at.

"I would also like to thank all those reporters for sticking with us all through this evening. I will right away invite one of them, Miss Sanchez from Teen Vogue magazine, to come up her with me. I am proudly announcing we have to be premiered their special royal issue tonight!"

The crowd applauses again as a short Latina woman makes her way to the stage. She takes another microphone from the technical team and introduces herself.
"Good evening to all of you! Thanks again princess Alexandra for this opportunity to launch our special edition! Now this isn't something we usually do, but you got the entire state in awe when they heard about your family..."

She trails off the rest of the sentence and I know Alex is about to understand why California, heck, maybe even the entire USA will know all about Hispaniola's royals. The journalist seems a bit uncomfortable.

"...especially considering the rumors around the prince's love life. Suddenly we were all hoping to star in the reboot of Coming to America."

The assistance laughs, except me and Alex. We are both petrified.
"So ladies and gentlemen, Teen Vogue gives you its special issue and presents you its cover star, Jackie Coleman!"

What. The. Actual. Heck.

She grabs her burgundy gown with one hand as she swiftly walks the steps to the stage. She helps Miss Sanchez unveiling the poster of her first cover magazine - no, her first anything in the show business. I can't believe I couldn't see this coming.

I pour myself another glass of champagne and walk away from the ball room. Didn't MC say they were rooms on the second floor? I would hide in one of them until everybody including my family is gone. Simple as that.

"Ricky wait!" yells MC, making the room to grow quiet.

I only length my steps and exit the room without another glance.