7. Ricky

I open the door for her and hold her hand as she gets out of the car. She looks so innocent in her jumpsuit, I can't even.
"How old are you?" I tell her, an amused grin on my face.
"18."
That's what I thought, but I needed to be sure.
"Do you know my age?"
She giggles. "I googled your name the day I met you, Richard."
I pout. "That's not fair, I don't know your real name."
"It's Jacqueline."
"So H." I joke.
"Ugh, don't tell me about it, my parents loved your country so much!"
I decide to not bring out the fact she used the past tense to talk of her parents and lead her to the arena entrance.

When we get to the line, I tell her to follow me. She looks at me confused.
"What do you think you're doing?" she hisses. "We can't cut through the line-"
"Unless, I cut her, we are VIPs. Which we are."
I show her the tickets. Her eyes almost get out of their sockets.
"We are this close? Janet will see us on TV!" she squeals. "Maybe Curry will notice me!"
"What's up with this Curry guy?"
"Oh I don't know, he is Christian, hot, talented... He's the reason why I still hope for a guy taller than me with gorgeous eyes!"
"Like me?" I tease.
Her face flusters.
"I don't know ... "
"We will take care of that later, in that case." I wink.

We take place in our seats. We are really close to the court. Jackie is thrilled the entire game. We even get to say hi to her favorite team, and she doesn't faint in the process. When the game ends, we go back in Alexandra's car and I drive her back home.

"Oh my, the line is sooooooo long!" she whines when we're still waiting to get out of the parking lot.
"Perfect, more time to talk!" I say sarcastically.
"Okay, so how do we do this? One question each?" she suggests.
"You go first." I say.
"Fine... Did your parents freaked out when you came home with all of these tattoos on your body?"
Ouh, that is a good one.
"Yes. But they're more laid-back now, so I got to get all my arms inked and stuff, but then I got tired of it all."
"What do you mean?"
"Me and Alex got through a phase when we wanted their attention. It worked at first with the tattoos, but they stopped reacting pretty quickly."
"So they're always busy?"
"Yep. Is it my turn now?"
"Go ahead."
"What happened with your parents?"
I regret it as soon as I say it. I cringe.
"Scratch that, you don't have to tell me if you don't -"
"They died. When I was thirteen."
There is a long pause, then she says again:
"They were in Hispaniola to build a new school. They were both teachers. They had been in Port-au-Prince for about a week. They were visiting another school when the earthquake happened. "

I remembered the earthquake. I never heard so many people screaming Jesus at the same time. But Jesus didn't rescue everyone who screamed his name. He already had a list.

"Did you lost somebody in the earthquake?" she asked quietly.
"My nanny. She practically raised me."
"I'm sorry, I am just here crying..."
I meet her gaze, concerned. She is really silent for someone who is crying.
"I'm sorry too. For your parents. I guess that explains why your siblings take so good care of you."
"It does. They both didn't go to college so we could stay together." She wipes her face with her hand and clears her throat. "So, are you Christian?"
"Wow, I don't get that question often enough... yes I am. I was traumatized when the 12 janvier 2010 [January 12th, 2010] happened... I got stuck in there for 12 hours. It wasn't a lot compared to some people, but that's how long it took me to give my life to Christ. I did it for my nanny first, because I thought I was gonna die too. But then it took more sense."
"Gosh, we're so depressing..." giggles nervously Jackie. "Got another question?"
"Hum... Do you want to go to college?"
"I'm not sure anymore. I don't know what I want to do with my life."
"Really?"
"And it's so frustrating!"
"What are you good at?"
"Pick up outfits and annoy the crap out of people."
"Become a Kardashian."
We both burst out laughing.
"I must say, I didn't know you had it in you. You look shy but dude do you have them jokes going on!"
"Or maybe I have very lame jokes and you're the only one to find them funny."
"Oh you shut up."

"Thanks for the... date, I guess?"
She blushes as she says so.
"Hon, American girl can't find her words?" I coo her.
She shoves me with her shoulder.

We have spend about an hour talking, even when we reached her home.

"Okay, well, I really should get inside." she says, unbuckling her seat belt.
I jump out of the car and run to the passenger door. I open it for her.
"Ricky, that wasn't necessary."
"Don't stop me from my daily chivalry action."
She shakes her head, amused, and I walk her to the front porch.
"Thanks again prince charming." she teases.
She raises on her tiptoes and pecks me on the cheek. I grab her wrist and pull her against me. She gasps, surprised.
"Can I ask you one more question?"
She nods, out of breath.
"Do you want me to kiss you?"
I look down (she's not that tall) at her brown eyes and she averts my gaze. She can't help the grin off her face and the blush out her cheeks.
"Go ahead." she murmurs so quietly I almost miss it.
I cup her face in my palms and softly kiss her lips. She doesn't move them right away. I kiss her again and this time, she catches up and moves her lips too. I smile against her mouth: It's her first kiss.

I put her hands on my shoulders and she leans on my torso. Our lips meet again for a longer, more passionate, french kiss. We part to catch our breathes. Jackie hides her grin behind her hand.
"Good night princess." I catch her off guard with one last kiss and then I leave for the car. I watch her fumble for her keys in her back pocket before unlocking her door and enter her home.

There is no rich girl who will take Jackie's place.