Chapter Seventeen

Natsu stood at Erza's window, his salmon hair windblown and his eyes blazing. Erza slowly rose, the folds of her dress spilling to the ground like water of the finest blue.

"Natsu?" Erza repeated, walking towards Natsu slowly. She was surely dreaming. From the way Natsu was acting before with Makarov, he didn't want to be anywhere but the prison cells. If this was a dream, she didn't want to wake.

"Erza ..." Natsu begun to say, his voice laced with grief that Erza didn't understand. "... I ..."

Natsu trailed off, not knowing what he should do. Erza looked beautiful, the blue dress hugging her figure perfectly and her scarlet hair framing her race in ringlets. She looked vibrant, as if a flame was burning deep down inside of her that was burning as bright as ever. Natsu didn't want to hurt her, but he had to tell her ...

Erza's hand gently touched Natsu's cheek, the warmth of Natsu's flesh warming her up inside. A tear trailed down her cheek, which Natsu caught as if it was the most precious gem in the world. It wasn't a dream. Natsu was standing right in front of her, the moonlight illuminating his slightly tanned skin, fire dancing in his eyes.

Before any one of them realised, they had their arms wrapped around each other tightly, holding the other as if some invisible force was trying to pull them apart. More tears fell down Erza's face and onto Natsu's shoulder. She didn't care that she was crying. Natsu, on the other hand, refused to cry. But even his strong willpower didn't stop the lone tear escaping and dropping into Erza's hair.

"How did you get out of the prison chambers?" Erza asked, pulling away to look up at Natsu. "I didn't hear anything about you escaping."

"Gray let me out," Natsu answered, surprising Erza that he called Gray by name and not 'Ice Prick' or 'Ice Princess'. "He said that he didn't blame me for his village's demise."

"That's because it wasn't your fault," Erza said gently. "Deliora acted on his own will."

"Deliora looks up to me," Natsu sighed. "All the demons of the Books of Zeref do. Even though I'm practically the youngest ..."

"Natsu ..." Erza begun to say, but trailed off. She didn't know what she should say to make him understand that everything that happened wasn't his fault. She guessed that no matter what she said, Natsu would forever carry that guilt.

Instead she pressed her lips against Natsu's, curling her hand behind his head. Natsu's lips were warm and soft, just like she remembered. She realised that she hasn't kissed Natsu in seven years.

She took control in the kiss, expertly moving her lips with Natsu's own as she pulled him backwards towards the bed. Still taking control, Erza turned Natsu so that his knees were pressed against the bed and gently pushed him down onto it. Erza straddled his lap, her legs on either side of his hips.

"Erza, I need you," Natsu groaned into Erza's mouth, his hand slowly making its way up her back. Erza shivered at the feather-like touch moving up her spine through the satin.

Natsu took hold of the blue ribbon keeping Erza's hair in place and slowly pulled it undone. The ribbon pulled away from Erza's hair, freeing it so that it hung around her shoulders like a frame, the candlelight creating shimmering patterns in the scarlet hair.

Natsu stared at Erza, seeming to hesitate. She was like a siren to his sailor, her very voice being able to compel him into doing something she wanted. And she used that voice to break his hesitation.

"Undo my dress," Erza whispered against Natsu's neck, her breath sending tingles down his spine. It was a simple request filled with lust.

Natsu grabbed hold of the zipper and pulled it down slowly, his eyes never leaving Erza's. The sound of the zipper echoed through the room, thundering in their ears. Finally the zipper was all the way down, leaving Erza's back bare. Natsu trailed his fingers up Erza's spine, causing Erza to shiver with rapture. Despite being a fire wizard, an element that was destructive and deadly, Natsu's touch was gentle and warm. Natsu held the characteristics of two different types of fires: the inferno, destructive and out of control, destroying everything in his path; and the gentle fire, like the flame of a candlelight, bringing warmth and light to everything. And right now Natsu was the candlelight flame, his very touch bringing warmth and light to Erza's world when it was frozen and dark, like a cave in the middle of winter.