Young driver

Brad's POV

"Jen, Ari wants me to take her out driving but my car is in the garage, could we use yours?" I ask Jen as she tries to get Bri ready.

She looks up at me with a look of doubt on her face. "Uh, are you sure she'll be okay driving a different car?"

I laugh a little, "Jen, she won't damage your car,"

"Well, okay then. Bri can you please come back here and so I can put this top on you?" She sighs.

I walk out and get Jen's car keys and tell Ari to meet me in the car.

"I can't believe mom let me use her car," she says as she turns the engine on.

"Just as long as you don't damage it!" I laugh. She glares at me.

We drive out of the driveway and into the street.

"Where will we go?" Ari asks.

I think for a moment. "Why don't you drive to the store, I need to get a few things anyway." She agrees and drives us there.

Once we arrive at the store, there aren't many parking spaces available.

"There's one there," I point out.

Ari looks over at me, "Are you sure the car is gonna fit in there?"

I nod, "Yeah, it'll be fine." She looks at me doubtfully but let's me park the car anyway.

We get out of the car and go into the store to get some things.

"Your mom ate the ice cream that was in the freezer today, so we should get her more."

"That was my ice cream!" Ari glares.

"We'll get you some more as well then." I say as we make our way to the ice cream bit.

We pay for everything and make our way back to the car.

"Oh my god, dad. Look!" Ari almost shouts as she points to something. I look at what she's pointing at and I gasp. There's a big scrape right across the bottom of the car. "Mom's gonna kill us!"

She's right. "Mom doesn't have to know."

Ari looks over at me as if I'm stupid. "Oh yeah, I'm sure she won't realise that her car has a massive scrape on it!"

I sigh. "Maybe we could convince her that it was really her who scraped it."

"Are you seriously kidding me? Of course she'll know it was me and she's gonna kill me!"

"Calm down, she won't kill you." She raises her eyebrows. "Okay, she probably will."

"This is all your fault! You told me to park in that space when I doubted that the car would fit! I'm blaming this all on you!"

I think for a minute to try come up with a plan. "I know, we'll drive home and I'll get the insurance files and we can drive to the garage who'll be able to fix it in no time."

Ari agrees with my plan and let's me drive home.

Once we get home, we both get out of the car and go into the house, both very scared of Jen.

"How did it go?" Jen asks.

"Good, actually great!" Ari says with a bit too much enthusiasm. Jen looks over at me, a bit suspicious.

"She did very well, she'll be driving on her own in no time." I smile. "We actually forgot something at the store so we're gonna go back."

"Okay, I think I've left my spare charger in the car so I'm gonna go and get it." Jen says as she starts to stand up. My head turns to Ari.

"No, mom!" Ari yells and jumps in front of her, Jen looks taken aback at her sudden outcome. "Let me go get it for you."

"No, really it's okay," Jen starts to say.

"Honestly, you look really tired and pale, maybe you should go rest." Ari says.

Jen looks really confused. "Uh, I'm fine, Ari. I'm just gonna go and get my charger from the car and come back and watch tv whilst Bri is sleeping."

"Let me go, I never do anything for you!" Ari practically begs.

"Right, what's going on?" Jen says and turns to look at me.

"Uh, what do you mean? Ari just wants to do something nice for you for letting her use your car," I say, hoping she'd believe me.

"So she chooses to go and get my charger, what kind of gesture is that?" Jen asks. Who am I kidding, I knew she'd never believe me.

"God, mom. Just trying to help, I gotta start somewhere." Ari mumbles.

"What have you done to my car?" Jen asks Ari.

Ari pretends to look shocked. "What do you mean? I haven't done anything to your car, why would you think that?"

Jen raises her eyebrows. "Uh, I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that you're trying to do something nice for me when you never do anything and you're not letting me out to my car."

I can see that Ari is panicking and doesn't know what to say.

"Alright, alright." I say. "Do you want to know what happened?" Jen nods. "I told her to park into a space at the store and she asked if I thought the car would fit as the space was small. I knew the space was small but I told her to park there anyway and when we came out of the store we noticed that the car was scraped."

Jen's eyes widen as she turns to Ari. "You scraped my car?"

Ari's eyes also widen. "Hey, it wasn't my fault! Dad told me to park in that space next to a curb and I knew it was too small."

"Jen, it was all my fault, don't blame her. I'm going to take it to get fixed right now, I promise it'll be back to normal again in no time."

Jen's face softens a bit as she looks at Ari. "I'm sorry I blamed you when it was your fathers fault. In future, don't take much advice from him."

We all laugh.

"I don't know what your laughing at," Jen says to me. "You're going to take my car and get it fixed."

I nod my head. I go and kiss her. "I love you by the way."

"Hm, we'll see." She laughs a little and kicks me out the door.