Call

●This story will be told by Simon, unless stated otherwise●

The sicking sound of gravel crunching under my shoes floated through the silence my town had to offer.

To be fair though, if I had just woken up sooner, I might have not been alone. Maybe caught up to some group of friends and joined them so my walk wouldnt have to seem so sad and alone. The town center was closer now, the colorful banners that once meant something to our village hanging loosely in the cold breeze. Maybe, if I hurried, I would make it in time to hear the important announcement.

If they had told me ahead a time, I suppose I would have come quicker and more prepared. My jacket was on the foot of my bed, waiting for me at home, and I had no time to go back. Its cold in this time of the year, especially this early in the morning, so the hair on my arms stood up against my arms.

I've almost arrived now, the town center is shining beautifully in the golden rays of the morning sunshine, and I can see everyone hudled around the towns stage. Its mostly men, the occasional woman or small daughter lingering in the crowd, looking lost or confused. I suppose I dont blame them, for its the first time in quite awhile one of the royal gaurds bothered with our town, especially this early in the morning.

I hope they dont penalize me, or my family for that matter, who sit at the small home, anxious for my return. They said that all men from every household was required to come, along with any woman that wanted to tag along.

But you see, I couldnt. My father is sick, and dying, his hairs turning gray with age. If I had taken him, his bones wouldnt have supported him thus far, and I would have been stranded on the side of the road somewhere praying someone would come and help us. And we would have missed this announcement for sure, and no doubt would have gotten penalized.

And my brother, who is to good for this earth. Hes the only light my family have left, always laughing and chipper despite being the poorest family in this whole damn place and only getting the occasional bite to eat. Hes the only one left who could help my father get any better, and therefor I forced him to stay home.

That and the feeling of danger that seemed to come with this message. The horses and soldiers that stood proudly at the exsits of the town confirming my thought. Our town, being the very poor and run down thing that it was, wasnt visited for a reason. Shoot, we didnt even get people just passing by on their way to the next town, much less royalty.

I started to jog, some people shooting me glances or waving slightly as I passed by. They recognized me as the old mans son, who lived in the house farthest from the town center with the brother who everyone loved. The boy who seemed kind enough, who wasnt hated, but wasnt as loved as his brother or mother was. A boy who no longer had his mother or sister, or a dad who could work, but still lived. And that was respected.

I reached the very back of the crowd now, stopping to catch my breath as I looked over familiar heads to see the royal gaurd, decked out in the finest of silks and the best horse by his side as he got ready to speak. So I haven't missed it, like usual, I had just made it.

Slight murmers filled the air as the man on the stage began to clear his throat and get ready to speak, the sun just now poking its head playfully against the lush valleys that surrounded our village. He spoke, his voice clear and strong, bouncing against the houses and going throughout the land.

"I come, with the news of war!" The man screamed, the fire in his eyes igniting with each word he spoke. The crowd started talking in dismay, people latching on to others like lifelines, some finding friends and family as if the people were attacking us at this very moment.

"Yes, you heard right people! King Callum of Freezy and his army has continued their onslaught of terror and destruction on our land! Burning villages whole, taking out full armys, killing the innocent!" The man yelled, earning screams of terror from the crowd. I could feel my stomach sink with the news, people screaming and crying and fearing for their lifes.

I knew why this guy was here now.

"And by order of King Callux, I have chosen a selected few families that will give up one man, for the fight for our country!" The man exclaimed, expecting cheers and laughter to ring throughout the crowd like it was our first Christmas or something.

But he got terror in return, people violently sobbing or crying or screaming. Its strange, how hours ago the town would have been quiet, people peacefully sleeping under the serene darkness the night provided, no one having a care in the world. But now we have this. And I dont blame them either, for our town was AWFULLY bad at fighting, or doing anything most towns did in general.

"People listen! I will be calling out family names now! Anyone that choses not to come will be killed by orders of Callux himself!"

More screams, and people desperately trying to make their way to the exit, only to find it blocked. The wind picked up, sending things flying in an unforgiving matter.

"Everyone calm down! It is mandatory you hear the names being called!" The man screamed, and a hush fell over the crowd, the silence being broken by the small sobs of children and men who knew their fate.

The gates looked kinda tempting, and im sure that if I ran I would simply be able to flee into the forest and stay their until the gaurds tired of looking for me.

But sadly, that wasnt an option.