The Calm Before The Storm

Everyone turned to the sound of the gunshot. My heart rate started to pick up rapidly as I ducked behind the jeep, a few others coping me. There were screams and yells, people screaming bloody murder as they ran and hid, most of the others from our town still standing out in in the middle of the area. I screamed for them to come into cover, but my voice got lost in the chaos and very few heard.

I looked over at Ethan, Tobi, Mitch and Jerome, who was staring at us like we were all crazy, motioning to the others and saying something I couldn't hear. JJ was over by the ammo loading his gun, obviously hearing the gunshots but not moving, a confused look on his face as to why every one was panicking. Why they hadn't gone into cover was beyond me, but it wasn't going to be my fault if they all died.

"Guys! You all are complete IDIOTS! T-that kid, the last person to grab his fucking gun shot it while he tired to load it! You all are acting like we just got fucking nuked!" Ethan yelled, everyone else slowly coming from their hiding spots, if they had enough time to hide at all. I can see Josh, Preston and Rob come out from behind a jeep, followed by at least 20 other people who ran for cover in that area. Lachlan and Vikk come out from behind the treeline, Harry jumping down from a branch of a tree he must have climbed. People where mumbling foul words under their breath as they came out of hiding, some people having to search for their guns for they lost them in the chaos. Everyone falls silent and I slowly make my way over to everyone, my face slightly burning from embarrassment as I a make my way over. I should have known it was a mistake after not hearing any more gunshits, its just the adrenaline rush of it all, and the screams of everyone making me believe their was more shots then there actually was. I wait for someone to speak up before I catch on. I don't think anyone noticed I joined the little group.

"Guys, they fucking heard the gunshot. They must have. Look, all of the ones still at camp are looking over here." Harry mumbles, pointing to the group of people down in the burnt remains of out town, all of them trying to pinpoint where the gun went off and pointing in our area. I'm not sure if they can see us, but it doesn't matter.  Because they know were here.

"Well guys. Were fucked." JJ says with a small laugh, although it honestly isn't the time.

"Well, I say we have to go now. No other options. Lets go while we still have a slight advantage before they hunt us down." Vikk mutters with a small frown, taking his gun and examining it slightly. I can see everyone either shrug or nod, and I know its decided.

"Well then. Lets go." Rob says softly, starting to split the others into teams and assigning them to different areas.

I can't help but feel the butterflys start to flutter around in my chest, making me even more uneasy as time goes on. This is it. The real deal. Here we are, having to get ready to go into war, back into the ashes of our hometown to kill the enemy. Go and try to fight when very few of us even know how to use a gun, Callux and JME going right now to find replacements for us because he knows weren't not all going to make it. It was terrifying.

An exhilarating type of terrifying.

"Yeah," I mange to mumble, although I don't think anyone hears. "Lets go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hide in the bushes, kneeling in the dirt behind the brush to make myself hidden from view.

I can feel Vikks presence behind me, his breaths shaky and quick as he kneels in the dirt. I can tell his scared, from the corner of my eye I can see his fingers shaking as he holds his gun, but there's not much I can do to help him. I'm just as scared as he is. I can hear people whisper behind me, Tobi and Preston monitoring everyone in the back to make sure nothing could sneak up on us.

There's at least twenty of us here hidden in the brushes, all of us whispering among ourselves. Rob and Josh had split us up by dorms and assigned us with different groups in different sections. Were on the upper feild, waiting for the call to advance.

I can see them all from where I am, the sun rising on the broken town a few feet below us. Perhaps the other twenty people who I've never learned the names of don't understand why the people suppost to lead them are looking over the enemy with teary eyes and shaky breaths. Why the other groups are taking so long to advance on the tiny town that means nothing to them. And there's a good change that they'll die today not knowing why the most of us would stop in the middle of the battle not being able to move. Why we hesitated to advance.

They can't possibly know that this ruined little town is our home. They don't understand that this is where we've become who we are now, this is where our families once stood, this is where we onced lived our life's out, this is where we were happy. All of us, even the ones who had nothing, were happy in our small town we called home.

As for being happy again? I'm not exactly sure.

I hear JJs call from across the field, even though I can't see his group. I look over at Vikk, his eyes still glassy as he takes a deep breath looking back at me, his eyes hiding this I'll never understand. I wonder while he's looking back at me if he sees the same thing in my eyes, although I'll never know for sure.

I motion to the back where Preston and Tobi are, watching as they nod, and we start advancing.

Were so close, quietly stepping around in the dirt trying not to make a sound.  I can see them down below, getting into to groups and arming themselves. There's about a hundred or so down below, all of them being armed with weapons I had never seen before. Some getting into tanks bigger then my future, some with weapons that could easily plow us all down with just one pull of a trigger. Its honestly frightening, and I know now were all dying. And the tense feeling in the air only proves everyone else knows it to.

"Well. This is it. We've had a good run." I manage to mumble under my breath, Vikk giving me a sideways glance at my words because I don't think he heard what I said.

"Yep. Its been fun." Tobi mutters from across the way, bring a soft smile to my face.

"Well it was a great experience, lets go get ourselves killed." Preston mutters, making me crack a grin. The others that are following us look worried, the other twenty or so people looking at us like we're crazy.

Its just a joke to this point to most people that live in our broken town. I honestly think most people from out town could care less if they lived. Their reasons for living had already been taken, their will to fight dying with everything else. Not that anyone else knows this of course. They can't possibly understand.

And as for me, I'm not to sure if I understand either.

I see Preston wave everyone to scatter around the area and get ready to attack, everyone quickly leaving the brush near the woods. That was the last place we knew we were safe, the last place where we were all alive. I watch as every one scatters, some people hiding behind broken buildings, others ducking into giant holes in the dirt that were never there before.

There's smoke here. Its slowly filling my lungs as I hide behind what's left of a house. I pull my gun over my shoulder and hold it in my hands, slowly making sure everything's alright before getting ready to go out. This is it. The real deal.

My hands can't stop shaking as I wait for the call to open fire. Everyone from CalFreezys army is starting to move around, going further out to check the area, and its only a matter of time before one of us gets seen. I know the call has to be soon or we lose the upper hand.

And that's it. Someone screams, and I hear everyone let out the call to start shooting fire.

And before I know it everything seems lost in a sea if bullets.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I was going to write the war part here and get onto the second plot I had come up with, but then decided against it.

This "War" is the big deal. Ive been hyping this attack up way to much to just stick it at the back of a different chapter.

But Yeah. Last filler, promise. Hope you guys still love the story as much as I do :)

Much love <3