Preston

I laid down in the dew soaked grass, the night sky engulfing me into nothingness.

I made little swirling patterns in the grass, the soft cries of the people inside the tents behind me taking over my hearing. It never was really suppost to end this way. We were suppost to come home, maybe go into a fight or two, but still come home. And even if we didnt, we were suppost to know that our family was still alive, still safe at home. If anything, we were suppost to die, not them. Now look at where we are. Every ones dead besides the people who were doomed from the start.

I start pulling tuffs of grass out by my fingertips, the peoples crys behind me only getting softer as the night goes on. I didn't want to sleep in the crummy shelters the camp provided us, and have to watch everyone suffer in a closed space. It was much more peaceful out in the grass, the dew wiping any dirt and sweat off of my body and soaking my uniform. It was quite calming, the soft grass whispering for me to sleep as it sways it in the wind.

I've stopped crying awhile ago. Now I'm just numb. I can barely feel my heart beat, not knowing if I'm taking in breaths and not particularly caring. I can barely feel the same fingers that are messing with the grass below me, my brain having shut down hours ago. I'm just a shell of a person now, lying in the grass, another soul lost in the depths of the night.

Something lays beside me, most of the cries from the tents becoming silent as sleep overtakes most. Somehow, I'm able to pull myself out of my grief long enough to glance over at who's beside me, seeing its Preston, before going back into my unforgiving state of dread.

"Its so nice out here. Your smart, for leaving." He murmers, he to lying back in the grass, his eyes sealed shut as he takes in the smell of the night.

"Yeah."

We stay there for a second, the silence taking over the empty space between us, flowing as the wind does. I look over at him for a second, seeing shiny tears start to run down his face as the moonrays catch them, trying to show their beauty before they fall of his face and onto the grass.

"I just...I came to find you. That's the real reason I left the tents. I spent the past few minutes searching the tents and the jeeps to find you, and when I couldn't find you I panicked. I was scared you left." He whispers, his voice barely being audible before it gets caught on the wind and lost forever.

"Really? Why did you need me?" I ask, turning over to look at him, his eyes becoming as dark as the sky above, his hair being almost invisible in the dark night.

"I just...You know, we started off rough. And I know our hatred for each other became a joke, but I just wanted to make sure were cool. You know, with this war and stuff, I just want us to be on good terms in case..."

He holds back a sob.

"In case one of us died. I don't want our last moments together to be hatred." He ends, drying his eyes with the back of his hand, before looking back at me to see what I think.

I ponder this, searching his face for a second, my mind deep in thought. Preston has made this trip a lot more fun, he's given me a rival, someone I aspired to beat. He's helped me, as I've helped him, but we've always been able to joke with each other. He was the dude who I had no boundaries with, anything stood, and I appreciated that.

"Okay Preston. We cool." I reply, giving him a soft smile as he beams, happily standing up.

"Ok. Thank you. Just had to get that off my chest. And as much as I want to stay out here where its nice, I'm gonna head back. I promised Rob I wouldn't leave him, and I don't want him to wake up alone." He says, giving a soft smile at any mention of Rob.

I simply nod, watching him as he starts to head back, the back of his uniform drenched with dew. Suddenly my heart starts to panick, as if I'm watching him leave for the last time, as if I'm seeing him leave me here in the grass forever.

"Hey Preston!" I call out, watching him stop by the flap of the tent before turning around, a confused look etched on his face.

"Yeah Simon? What is it?" He asks, his pale form showing clear in the darkness of the night.

"Just so you know, I never hated you. I loathe you." I said, giving him a sloppy smile, which he returns almost instantly.

"Thank you Simon. Means a lot." He says with a small laugh, before ducking into the tent and out of sight.

And now I'm starting to question whether or not I've ever hated him at all.

~~~~~~~~

Ok, so its nighttime, and I was thinking about future chapters and how I could plan them out, when the most mESSED UP THING CAME TO MIND.

Like it was BAD. Like SOOOO BAD. Like I was thinking about this thing I learned in school cuz it crossed my mind for some reason and then mixed it with this book and it wAS SO BAD. LIKE TERRIBLE. LIKE I THINK I RUINED MYSELF.

I might even say its even worse then killing Vikk {which I won't do cuz the only two people who voted said no lol so he lives probably}

But like ya. Since y'all picked the second option, I'm apologizing in advance, especially if I add what I was thinking off {which I probably won't since its sO FOUL}

But yeah. I've got a story line now.

And I'll give you a hint.

The main storyline? The main problem? Oh, it hasn't even started ;)