Authorized Hookie

When Loch opened the door and I saw Abel's face, my heart did a little SOS in my chest.

"Thank you for letting me borrow her. It has been awhile since I got to hang out with another girl." She looked up at me and winked.

"Well, I'll leave you two be. Let me know how tomorrow goes with your dad." I was going to have another talk with Phil. This new ally of mine hadn't pressed me about getting a date with him she just said she'd like to meet him sometime.

"Are we going to hug?" I wasn't When Loch opened the door and I saw Abel's face, my heart did a little SOS in my chest.

"Thank you for letting me borrow her. It has been awhile since I got to hang out with another girl." She looked up at me and winked.

"Well, I'll leave you two be. Let me know how tomorrow goes with your dad." I was going to have another talk with Phil. This new ally of mine hadn't pressed me about getting a date with him she just said she'd like to meet him sometime.

"Are we going to hug?" I wasn't the best with affectionate shows of friendship because while I was still popular there were chipper, overly friendly girls that squeezed the life out of you with too bright smiles on their sadistic faces. The ones who used the term best friend like it was a badge to show their status yet they never really seemed to know what the word friend really meant; even the version that was bound behind the hard and paperback covers of dictionaries.

The users...they were like parasites; or salespeople.

"No, I think we're both not ready for that." The bubble of giggles that burst from her mouth were ones of surprised amusement.

"Thank you for all that you taught me today. I had fun." I smiled and she finished off her laughter and nodded.

"Go spend the rest of today with your man. He looks neglected." Loch said as she nudged me out the door.

"So, what happened today? What did you two talk about?" He asked once we headed towards his car. I found myself grabbing his arm and pulling it out of my way idly so I could hug him.

"She taught me more about the internet and all the pros and cons of it; which reminds me, I'm never joining a networking site unless it is to advertise my books," I replied, some of my words being muffled by his shirt. I couldn't count how many times I had read and written about comforting smells from love interests in books, but at this point in time, I was enlightened firsthand. His familiar guy smell along with his warmth was more welcomed than I'd anticipated.

Abel's hesitant reaction told me he hadn't expected the gesture either but he soon returned it, wrapping his arms around me and further encircling me in his heat.

"What's this about?"

"I missed you. I missed you more than I thought I would. This isn't even just about today but also when I'd distanced myself from you for several weeks." I confessed, holding him tighter.

"It must have been a frustrating feeling." Abel moved one of his hands up and smoothed it into my hair, the sensation of his soft lips on my forehead made the spot all tingly and I caught myself smiling. He better not of seen that and I made my face as stern and grumpy as I could without it looking forced.

"It was." Then I tried pulling away, but he didn't budge.

"I'm good now. I don't need to hug anymore. Abel?"

"You don't give me hugs and show such blatant sentimentality often, so let me take advantage of one on the few times you do."

Then the door opened.