Lost in Sensation

By the time, I'd calmed down we were already in front of his apartment. Visually it said middle class and his demeanor when he got to the front door made me feel as though he'd been living here for years.

The feeling of being at home radiated from him and I smiled at the warmth of it as is made my feelings of unease seem silly.

"Is it going to be messy?"

"Lately, I don't spend enough time here for it to really get messy, and I had time to clean before you got here so I'm prepared." He smiled as he found a key.

"A little early for a hookup, isn't it, Abel?!" A woman's voice sneered out from nearby.

"Good afternoon to you too, Ms. Bertram! This is my girlfriend, Evelyn! Evelyn, Ms. Bertram." Abel introduced, turning to me and ending it softly as if suddenly my ears were fragile to loud noises. Ms. Bertram's lips twitched upwards and she shook her head before going into her house.

What a convenient nosy neighbor.

"Don't mind her. I was home yesterday only to clean." He smiled as he held open the door for me.

The inside smelled of Lemon Pledge proving the virtue of his words. It was a spacious one bedroom apartment.

It was cold, though, and I couldn't blame the place.

"Go ahead and place your typewriter on the table there." He pointed towards the coffee table by a fireplace and TV.

Flushing because I had forgotten that I was holding her, I moved as quickly and carefully as I could before I was able to set her down; my finger suddenly aching and I remembered all the new stuff I had but was forced to only text myself.

"Mind if I work on my mystery novel for a bit?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll cook us up something to eat. How hungry are you?"

"After I write for awhile I'll be starving," I replied before jogging out to the car to bring in my other things.

"What are you doing? I already moved your bag of clothes into my room."

"Oh, thanks."

"You must have been spacing again." Abel smirked and I blushed.

"Come in, I'm setting up a fire."

"I thought you were gathering up some edibles?"

"I was until I saw how you were shivering."

Oh.

"How does macaroni with hot dog slices sound?"

"Good. Can I help?" I requested curiously.

"I thought you were going to warm up and write a little to get rid of you remaining jitters, but if you really want to, here; slice away." He handed me a knife, and a plate of dogs.

"This should be enough once you cut em up."

"Thanks. Were you hoping to let me relax into my new surroundings?"

"Yes, but apparently you can't do that much for me."

"I'll do this and then I'll listen to your suggestion." I grinned, my eyes gleaming and I got a sigh in return.

"Just don't go off to wherever it is you go and get a finger. You need those." His warning threw me off. So that's what he was worried about.

"Under my roof or not...when I'm around you, you are my responsibility."

"Is this the same man that took mild advantage of my early morning daze?" I heard him set everything down and turn back to me. His gray eyes had something flickering darkly in them when I peeked at him over my shoulder.