Never Trust a Man That Makes Trees Look Like Spiderwebs

"Well, I'm saying the right words then because I've never even had a female friend over at my house. Before you, of course."

"Of course."

"You don't believe me?" I quipped, expecting her to use my own words against me. Authors seemed to do that a lot.

"That's not the case at all. I have no reason to be interested in your personal life and that means it is none of my business who you date. Though I do apologize for judging you once again."

"Philip was right. No interest in much other than her grades and books."

"I've given up on most other things. Family situation is something I have no control over, school is a battlefield, and any chances I had at romance or friendship are pretty much-ruined thanks to my ex."

"Smitten Coffee Guy?"

"Part-time job, full-time college, rent, roommates, reputation, and that's just him. Plus, he's been sworn to secrecy for knowing my identity as Phaidra so if I was to date him, he'd eventually use it against me for one reason or another." That was a little harsh.

"This is about Chase, isn't it?" She stopped, confused.

"Huh?"

"This avoidance of dating thing you've got down. You're so wrapped up with him that as soon as someone tries to get close to you-you turn around and are suddenly a totally different person; cynical and condescending, an attitude that makes people want to believe the terrible things that have been said about you."

"Pfft." She was laughing at me.

"That's not it at all," Evelyn said while rubbing tears of mirth from her eyes.

"Then what is it?"

"I have no reason to be interested in guys that believe in rumors. I have nothing social to keep up with, which means less stress and more time to work on my stories."

"That's why your social skills are lacking," I mumbled.

"Not just that. I can't sing or dance either." She took a breath and peered around at the floor with confusion. What was going on in that head of hers?

"Do you have any favorite characters?" Evelyn suddenly quizzed. I should have known that she'd retreat back to her books.

"Yes."

"Who?" She was now up and in the kitchen, opening and closing cabinet doors, but had stopped to peer back at me curiously.

"Well, Merchant for one." Merchant was a female character from her Rivka book series. At the mention of her name, I caught Evelyn smile to herself.

"That's an unlikely favorite."

"Why would you say that? I think she's a fun character with that sexiness that seems to become thieves."

"She's a trickster." The secret author whispered." Cunning, conniving, and cowardly."

"The cliché cowardly thief, yes, but she is also very brave, making her much more interesting than the cliché."

"Only when it suits her fancy." For some reason, guilt appeared laden in her now downcast eyes.

"And your explanation that makes her out to be so unlikely to favor when you get to know her character in the book you dedicated completely to her and Donix's perspectives?"

"She poisoned him," Evelyn argued.

"She wasn't trying to kill him."

"Did you finish what I have out so far? I don't mean she only poisoned him once. I'm talking about she dosed him to fatal levels on innumerable occasions."