Chapter III [revised]

"What damning piece of evidence have you found?" You say from your room.

"Hope your roommate doesn't mind me taking free samples." He said picking at the meat in the fridge.

"She minds but she's too much of a pussy to come over here and fight you." You lay down on your bed and let out a small cry as the pressure is relieved from you wound.

You hear the sounds of him rummaging through the kitchen cabinets and his feet shuffling on the Bambi flooring until he's outside your room.

"Here." He sets down a small glass of water and pulls out a ready to go syringe of some sort with a clear liquid. "We use these in the field for agents that are in severe pain and we can't get them to a hospital right away."

He pulls the call off the needle and pushes the syringe a little, letting a drop of the clear liquid escape.

"As far as I'm concerned, human and ghoul brains are the same. So this should work on you." He gently grabs your shoulder and sinks the syringe into your skin.

You began to feel woozy and after a few minutes the room became a blended pool of sounds and colors and then you closed your eyes.

And then I am back in a familiar place, sunlight beams through the window and warms up the cold wooden floor.

Somewhere behind me my mother hustles about the kitchen, closing this, opening that, the sounds of a warm and busy home. Everything is just as it was and as it should be and nothing has happened — yet.

I know this place, before the horror, I'm inside my own body but as a child I wish I could go back and tell her it would be alright. What to do and what not to do and who to stay away from. I didn't need to grow up, I needed to be safe and protected. I wanted to keep her safe from him.

"Y/n your father will be home soon from work soon, help me tidy up the house will you?" She hummed and patted my shoulder.

I let out a huff before coming to terms with my date for the day.

"You can start off by helping me clean the living room okay baby? Clean up your toys."

"Alright." I said with a defeated sigh.

If only I had known, not to look in places I shouldn't be looking.

"Y/n?" A muffled voice came from somewhere in the room. "You're awake!"

"Give me a moment." I groaned, attempting to rub the dining out of my ears, to no avail. "You put drugs in me?"

"What else did you want me to do?" He rolled his eyes and walked over to me. "Are you okay?"

"I mean... I'm alive right?" I reply sarcastically.

"It looks like it." He chuckles and hands me a glass of water. "Here you know for... hydration."

"Thanks I guess." I say, taking the glass from his hand.

I didn't realize how thirsty I was until I had gulped down the entire glass in the blink of an eye.

"You know..." I started, remembering my dream. "I wasn't born like this..." I say gesturing to my body.

"What do you mean?" He cocked his head, interested.

"A ghoul. I didn't ask for this kind of life." I continue. "I'm not a monster, like you think I am. I still have friends and values and morals I think like any other human and have philosophies and aspirations."

"But you eat people." He remarks bluntly.

"I want to live I mean... my food is ethically sourced. I haven't killed anyone." I say rubbing the back of my neck."

"You could just starve?"

"Are you out of your godamn mind?"

"No." Juuzou leans back and lays down next to me. "I mean yeah I am. But if you know eating humans is wrong and you say you have morals or whatever then why."

"I mean I want to live. I want to see if there is a way to turn me back to normal." I sigh.

"That's ridiculous? Turn you back to normal?" He says and finger quotes the air.

"It's a long story." I wave my hand around the apartment. "This is all him. My father. He gave me all this."

"And what about it?"

I sigh and let my mind wander back to that day. I hated him for what he did to me, he's supposed to protect me, I'm his daughter.

"And he gave me this." I pull my shirt up slightly and reveal a large scar across my abdomen. "All my intestines were placed. Fucking morbid but it's the way life goes I guess."

"So your dad was a ghoul?" He asked, perplexed.

"No fucking dumbass he's a surgeon." I sigh heavily. "I have a feeling I'm not the only one he has done this to."

There's a long pause before I speak up again. I look over to him and try to read the look on his face but his expression is blank.

"He said he did it so I would be quote stronger and superior end quote."

"That's pretty messed up, at the expense of human life." He says and pauses. "I don't think you're a monster y/n."

"I feel like one."