Chapter Eleven

I own nothing

Abby was working in her daughter's new tent, preparing the bed when she heard footsteps outside. Then she heard voices.

"Clarke, wait!"

"Leave me alone Lexa" Clarke stormed and Abby looked around wildly for somewhere to hide. She had not expected them back at the tent quite so soon. When Lincoln and the guards returned earlier with items from the camp site she had been set the task of cleaning their items and returning it to their tent by Bellamy. The kid could push that was for sure.

So here she was in the middle of making up a bed with pelts, rugs and furs for her daughter and the woman she thought was a barbaric savage not ideal for her daughter, when they return early. And pissed off it seemed. Well at least her daughter was. Dammit they weren't supposed to be back yet. They were supposed to be at some feast saluting the return of the Commander's good health.

She looked around wildly for somewhere to go but there was nowhere. The hessian netting hung to allow privacy offered her some barrier she guessed. She would just have to announce herself when they walked in.

Clarke stormed in; Abby could only see a shadow but recognized her daughters figure and gait. The Commander entered slowly behind her.

"Clarke"

"No!" She heard her daughter yell "we are back barely five minutes and it's all about you. How could you do that?" Ok Clarke was pissed. Maybe she wouldn't announce herself just yet.

"Is this about me announcing our merger?" The Commanders voice rang through the tent and Abby's jaw dropped. What? Clarke gave a dry laugh.

"Our merger, or Heda's and the Skaiprisa" Clarke growled and Abby felt her shock double. Her daughter sounded truly hurt. Like the difference mattered.

"I don't understand" the Commander sounded truly confused "I am the same and both"

"Of course you don't." Clarke sighed and there was a tense moment before Lexa tried again.

"We discussed this; I don't understand why you are so angry"

"We discussed it as a business proposition. The merger of two peoples." Clarke snapped.

"Exactly. You agreed it would be best for our people. For the trust to grow on both sides. For unity" Abby winced, she could actually tell the Commander was trying but knew instinctively they were not the words Clarke wanted to hear.

"Unity?" Clarke snorted "what about me, you, us?"

"Our relationship has no relevance to this merger" the Commander responded and though she sounded confused Abby winced and was surprised when Clarke didn't slap her.

"I guess not" Abby watched as the shadow of Clarke headed for the entrance.

"Where are you going?" Lexa sounded truly upset and desperate.

"Out. Don't fucking follow me. I can't be around you right now." Clarke shouted furious.

"I don't understand Clarke. What have I done?" Lexa's cry was anguished and Abby almost felt sorry for the Commander.

"Lexa back at the pond would know. But she disappeared the minute we set foot back in Camp Jaha" Clarke sighed sadly.

"Clarke wait" Abby watched through the curtain as Clarke stormed out and Lexa's shadow seemed to cave in on itself. "I promised not to push you" Abby watched as The Commander walked over and slumped in a chair then whispered "Oh God what have I done?"

Abby was shocked; the Commander almost seemed on the verge of breaking down. She was torn. She didn't know what to do. She couldn't sneak out, the Commander was sure to hear and see her. She didn't want to be caught standing here either. She was just going to have to face her and hope the Commander wouldn't kill her to keep her quiet.