Chapter Twenty-Two

I own nothing

The next morning they decided to go to the training ground and watch the others train. They had organized clothes and shoes for all for the wedding. The venue and food was all organized and catered for. Although she had no idea about a cake and quite honestly didn't want one, she thought it a bit frivolous. As far as Clarke knew she just had to turn up and knew Lexa had a coach for them to be taken in.

As they topped a hill next to the training grounds the first thought was that the view of the ocean from the hill was magnificent. What a place to train. The next thought was how the hell were they going to find Lexa on the huge grounds and with a mass of people.

"Over there" Echo pointed to where a large group of people were watching some training.

"How can you tell?" Clarke squinted, not able to make out anything.

"Because Heda always draws a crowd" Echo smiled and ushered them forward, hurrying through the grounds. It had been a long time since she held a sword and suddenly had the itch to train herself. The others hurried after her, pushing through the crowds of onlookers until they reached where sword fighting was in progress.

Clarke raised a brow when she saw Lexa, Octavia, Jayde and Luna all taking on several other warriors at once. Lexa had her sword, Octavia too while Luna used some sort of long stick striking with both ends. Jayde used her bow like Luna used the stick and they were all indicating death blows with strikes to the side or blade held to the throat. Lincoln was standing back indicating who should go fight next.

He saw Echo standing watching and picking up a training sword moved towards her, handing it over. He had no idea how well the grounder formally of the Ice nation fought but he was about to find out.

"Octavia you fight Echo next" he called and Octavia finished off her latest fighter and turned to Echo, stance defensive. Echo too was defensive as they circled each other, Echo faked a move, Octavia countered and the fight was on. It was unbelievable to watch, neither girl giving an inch. Even the others stopped to watch it as it continued for long minutes. Sweat started pouring over faces but neither could strike a telling blow and finally Abby could see Echo was waning. She needed to stop; she had only just recovered from the Mountain. She hurried to Lexa.

"You have to stop it Commander, Echo does not need to relapse"

"I cannot. Echo would consider it offensive. One of them must concede" Lexa quietly told her "she is weakening though; I will make sure she does no more training after this"

"Thank you" Abby nodded, flicking a look at Jayde before hurrying back to Clarke still too embarrassed she had fallen asleep in the other woman's arms last night. When she woke this morning she had been alone, a cushion for a pillow and a rug thrown over her. She didn't know what to think now.

Bellamy watched his girlfriend weaken under his sister's relentless attack. He too knew that Echo wasn't fully healed from months in the mountain. It had been a few weeks now but no one got over that depravity quickly. Finally a hard blow from O knocked the sword from Echo's hand and a blade was held to a neck.

"You fight pretty well Echo. Maybe I will take you as my second" Octavia teased.

"Shof op" Echo growled breathing hard.

"Well done Echo, we will need to look into getting you a new sword so you can fight once healthy" Lexa nodded and everyone saw how proud Echo looked at that moment. Bellamy went to his girlfriend and gave her a quick hug.

Lexa looked over the rag tag group of Skaikru and made a decision with a nod.

"Skaikru pick your weapon. You will all learn the basics of sword fighting today. Your weapons are only good until the bullets run out." She nodded to Lincoln who hurried forward with a collection of swords. Some seemed keen to have a go, some seemed to grumble.