Chapter Seventeen

I own nothing.

Clarkes head was spinning from the noise and the squash of people, none of which seemed to recognise her on their mad dash across the square to get away from the others. Clarke thought their destination was just far away from the others and indiscriminate until she was pulled through a shop door and she realised they were in a Tavern. A very busy and noisy Tavern. They pushed through a mass of bodies until they reached a staircase in the back. They climbed it and came out into a dining room that was a lot less busy but still quite full.

"Table for two?" A voice asked from their right and they turned to see a woman beside them, two menus in her hand.

"Mochof" Lexa nodded and they followed the woman as she led them to a table for two in a quiet corner next to a window that looked out over the activities below. Once again Lexa played the gentleman and helped seat her before taking her own seat.

"Can I get you a drink while you decide?" The woman asked next "we have an assortment of different ales..."

"Two chocolate milkshakes, small" Lexa ordered for both of them and the woman sighed before turning and striding away before Clarke could order her own drink.

"I am capable of ordering my own drink" Clarke frowned.

"Have you had a chocolate milkshake before?" Lexa asked and she shook her head "then try it. If you don't like it you can order another"

"Ok" Clarke decided that was fair. If Lexa liked it, it must be good; she was only trying to share her excitement and love of the city with her "well at least she didn't recognise us"

"Oh she did" Lexa chuckled and Clarke blinked. She hadn't said anything to indicate that.

"Is this place discrete? Do you come here often?"

"No and yes" Lexa chuckled which immediately doused any irritation she may have started feeling "she's my cousin. Her family owns it. My aunt runs the kitchen, my uncle the bar and their six kids help out"

"Oh. Why didn't she greet you differently?"

"She knows who I am but she is respecting my right to privacy from other patrons. It's why I come here. We will wander into the kitchen later" Lexa assured and Clarke nodded unsure and taken aback. They hadn't ever really discussed Lexa's side of the family other than the fact her parents were both deceased. She hadn't bothered to ask if there was an extended family. She would apologise for that later. As for now she looked down at her menu and asked

"What do you recommend?"

"Well I'm starving so I am going to have the surf and turf. It's a fillet steak with a lobster tail smothered in creamy garlic sauce. You can have chips and salad or baked potato and veggie with it" she frowned "Are you allergic to any foods? Nuts? Shellfish?"

"Ah no and I don't know" Clarke admitted and Lexa frowned, neither one of them wanted her to suffer from an allergy without medical treatment.

"Then I would go for steak, fish or chicken"

They both perused the menu to help Clarke out with her choice. She was amazed at the food on offer.

"How is this possible? These food choices?" She asked rather stunned.

"Like I said, we preserved everything we could here. It's not so difficult if you have the ingredients, for a very long time we were on rations so we could build up. Now we have plenty. Like my surf and turf. Cattle from farms are plentiful enough, Luna and some local fisherman catch the lobster. Chips come from potatoes which are easy to grow. Even the sauce is from dairy products"