Chapter Twenty-Three

I own nothing
Abby was sitting on her bed reading one of the medical journals she'd found when there was a soft tap on her door. She looked up frowning, she wasn't expecting anyone.

Maybe it was Clarke she thought, come to talk while the Leaders were all talking. She flicked a glance at the clock, they still had an hour before they had to meet. Another soft tap brought her out of her thoughts.

"Come in" she called and waited as the door opened.

She should have been surprised she knew, to see Jayde standing there, face stoic as ever, eyes piercing.

"May I come in?" The woman requested and Abby nodded, placing her book aside and getting up off the bed to stand to greet her. Jayde stepped in and closed the door silently before stepping further into the room.

"What are you doing here?" Abby asked, not accusing, merely curious

"We finished our greetings. Everyone decided to freshen up for this evening. I did not want to wait alone." Jayde looked around the room. It was a reasonable size, a bathroom upon entering, cupboards, a writing desk, a small breakfast desk and an incredible view of the ocean. She tried hard not to look at the enormous bed that was way too tempting with the beautiful woman in front of her.

"Do you need to freshen up?" Abby asked, indicating the bathroom and Jayde, suddenly feeling like she needed to regain control nodded and disappeared inside.

Abby took a seat on the bed again, picking up her journal to keep reading. She could hear water running in the bathroom but tuned out as she got caught up in an article about infectious diseases of the old world, her doctors mind racing at the thought of these diseases not being able to be cured. Especially in old world times.

She was so engrossed in the article she didn't hear Jayde leave the bathroom and only looked up when Jayde sat down on the bed beside her. Abby offered a smile.

"What has caught your attention to have you reading so avidly?" Jayde asked trying to peak over at the book.

"Oh it's just an article on infectious diseases of the old world. Nothing too exciting" Abby shrugged. It sounded rather morbid actually when she spoke about it.

"You seemed riveted, tell me about it" Jayde offered "What have you learned?"

Abby looked unsure for a while before hesitantly starting. Jayde was an avid listener as she spoke of diseases that were so easy to spread and killed thousands in days. Jayde said they had bad diseases but nothing that sounded like that. Soon they were sitting shoulder to shoulder looking at pictures and studying each case. Jayde was adamant they had nothing like that which was just as well because Abby was sure it would wipe out 90% of the population before they got any semblance of control.

Before they knew it they had about 10 minutes before they had to meet the others and Abby hurried to the bathroom to freshen up. On returning to the main room she found Jayde standing patiently, hands behind her back and waiting.

"Thank you for sharing that Abby. It was most insightful and I can see why you enjoy being a healer" Jayde nodded.

"Thank you for listening to me rant" Abby blushed then remembered she had something else to thank the warrior for "Thank you for last night too, for putting up with the tears and looking after me once I was asleep. You should have woken me when you left and sent me up to bed though"

She looked at her friend and could see the nervous dart of her eyes and wondered what she had said.

"I did not 'put up with you' as you said. You were upset and I was comforting you" she paused before giving a heavy sigh "I did not leave. I too fell asleep. I did not wake until early morning."