Chapter Twenty-Five

I own nothing
They spent the next hour walking the streets, meeting and greeting the people. They let their small circle of friends come with them as they walked around, after they had all been hugged to death and Lexa teased somewhat for taking the Griffin name. Lexa let it go, they were in Polis after all and warned once outside Polis walls she would become Heda again.

It certainly was an experience meeting and greeting all when they bowed and curtsied in front of you. Lexa ushered them to greet all different classes of the people but a lot of time were spent on the poorer people who lived in the outskirts of the city. Usually workers for those of higher class. She could see why, they probably reminded Lexa the most of those who lived outside the city walls and relied on their trade to work. Their clothes although clean were old, hand me downs through generations or even from the richer.

Lexa made sure they all knew about the fairs in the upcoming days and told them they were welcome. They were very gracious for their time and their words. Slowly as the hour passed they made their way back to the Great Hall for their reception and banquet of the midday meal.

Clarke was starving as she walked beside her wife, holding her hand and greeting people as they passed. She could see the Great Hall in the distance and hoped that the meal was ready, she hadn't been able to eat breakfast. She was looking forward to what the farmers had produced along with what Luna's fleet had caught.

She looked around at their friends who were following. Lexa's friends and leaders of clans seemed to be as much on guard as their guards were in the big crowd. She'd been very aware of Octavia and Lincoln just behind them on the whole excursion. She looked for her mother and found her walking behind with Bellamy and within talking distance to Jayde. She rolled her eyes, she really needed to get her shit together already. Everyone knew Jayde had stopped her wild ways the second they met. Yes it might have been only a few days ago but that was a few days longer than ever before. Maybe she could get her mother drunk and lower her inhibitions. It was time she moved on.

Just then there was a bit of a commotion from the guards in front of them and she turned to see one of the guards had a young child by the arm. The child could be no more than 6 and was carrying a bunch of flowers. Clarke didn't stop to think as she moved forward ignoring Lexa and called

"Unhand him at once"

"But SkaiKwin he broke protocol" The child was crying and demanded to be let go. She could also see his distraught parents standing at the front of the crowd but unwilling to break protocol to get him. Crowds in Polis were well versed and knew not to break invisible lines.

"The SkaiKwin gave you and order" Lexa said from behind her in her best Commander voice and the guard instantly let the boy go. Clarke thought he would run back to his parents but he merely stood there crying, tears running down his cheeks and his chest heaving with hiccups. Clarke didn't hesitate to move forward and hiking up her skirt squatted down in front of the boy.

"Hey what's your name?" She asked

"Ryon" he sniffed

"Hello Ryon, I'm Clarke. They are very pretty flowers you have there" she offered and the next thing she knew they were thrust towards her.

"I picked them for you, my parents said you wouldn't want them from the likes of us but I told them you would. We grow them for the florists in town" he informed bluntly as only a boy so young would.

"Of course I want them" she took them gently and sniffed, they were the most beautiful things she had seen "they are lovely." She looked up at her wife and smiled before looking at Ryon "Now tell me why would your parents think that"

"We are poor" the boy murmured and Lexa frowned from behind Clarke. Is that what they really thought? That she had no time for her poorer people? She spent 75% of her time outside Polis and with poorer people. Maybe in wealth but in lifestyle sometimes they were wealthier. She looked down at her wife who was smiling brilliantly while teasing the young boy while an adoring crowd looked on.