Chapter 1

It is daunting, she knows that. But today isn't about her. She's made the trip in order to see her sister. She has been left alone in the great hall for over half an hour now. The servant who had taken her inside had turned his nose up at what she was wearing. He had then promptly left and not returned. She wonders if he has alerted anyone to her presence or whether she could leave now and no one would be the wiser. Then, suddenly, she hears a set of light footsteps. The sound alerts her to the footsteps gender, most definitely female. She turns slowly, straightening her stance and relaxing her hands. Years of training are ingrained to not show fear or tension. The great red stained oak doors swing open. A woman in her fiftieth years enters and smiles gently. The smile is good manners; the red rimmed eyes give that away.

"I am sorry to keep you waiting for so long. Events have occurred which have everyone occupied. May I ask who you are?" The woman stops five feet away from her and waits for her answer.

"My name is Sparrow Iceni and I have visited your kingdom to see my sister and deliver her news from back home. May I see her?" A spasm of emotions pass on the woman's face.

"I am Lady Claire of these lands. My servant will alert your sister to your presence. I am sure she will be here shortly." Sparrow tilts her head slightly at the coldness of the Lady's voice. It does not match her visible presence. This woman portrays gentleness but Sparrow smiles, knowing that this could not be true. The woman has five sons and all within a matter of ten years. She must have something inside or she would be trembling standing before her.

Heavy, rushed footsteps are heard and the heavy oak doors are thrust open. Sparrow barely has time to take in the sight of her eldest sister before she is barrelled into. Raven sobs into her heavily armoured shoulder, her body trembling. Sparrow quickly fastens her arms around her sister's body and hugs her close. Her heart quickens as her temper rises. Who had dared to hurt her sister and make her a shivering wreck? Lady Claire has stepped back a fair distance to allow them a measure of privacy, Sparrow only sees that as an act of cowardice. Someone within this kingdom had upset her strong, beautiful and wise eldest sister. They were going to pay.

Up on the balcony overlooking the great hall stands Wolfe, the son of Lady Claire and the Leader of the Usani lands. He stands enshrouded in shadows so he can see what events will unfold down below.

"Raven, speak to me. Tell me who did this to you." Sparrow's voice shakes as she fails to keep her emotions from showing in her voice.

Raven lifts her head slightly and shakes her head, tears streaming from her eyes. "Please, my dear sister, just take me home."

"I will but you must tell me what has happened." Raven shakes and glances over at Lady Claire. She debates lying but knows nothing good can come from it. And she isn't a liar; their father had made sure they are all honest to a fault.

"I am no longer fit to be the Leader's wife, and it's of my own doing. I am the one responsible."

Sparrow pushes her sister away as disbelief highlights her features. Raven reaches out only to be met with air as Sparrow takes several steps back and stands ready to make any move. Raven chokes and sinks to the floor. "How could you? You know what this means for our family, for our people, for our kingdom! Father is going to be distraught; surely you understand what your actions will mean." Sparrow squeezes her eyes shut and takes a deep breath. "You have ruined our chances; I do not know how I can even start to heal the damage you have caused. Go collect your belongings; we shall leave as soon as possible." Raven holds back the sobs she desperately wants to release and runs from the room.

Sparrow turns to Lady Claire and bows, "I am deeply sorry that my family has caused you dishonour and shame. My father and I will seek to repair relations between our two kingdoms the best we can."