Chapter 14

Wolfe casts his gaze across the room taking in each and every one present. Sparrow seems to be in her element, her shrewd eyes meeting his dead on when he reaches her. He notices how her gaze flickers, but only to note Hunter's expression. He looks at his brother who exhales deeply, making his irritation known. "Hunter."

"No." Hunter replies, loud enough to be heard but not so loud that they all jump. His voice was loud enough to make known he knew exactly what was about to leave his brother's mouth and he was unwilling.

Logan stands, his understanding eyes settling on Hunter's head. As he walks past him he briefly presses his palm down onto Hunter's shoulder. "I'll go." He assures Wolfe as he leaves the room.

Wolfe places his hands on the headrest to the seat beside Sparrow's seat. He feels resistance when he inches it backwards. He sees that Sparrow has hooked her foot through the chair and her shoulders are set defiantly. He moves to his left and takes a seat with an empty one between Sparrow and himself.

An awkward near silence settles around the table. Bronco chuckles to himself and Hunter and Wolfe both send him irritated looks. "Should I repeat myself?" Sparrow asks and Bear grins at her.

"So I hear you refused my brother's proposal?" Hunter now chuckles that dark laugh of his and Wolfe rests his head in his hands. Bear grins across at her, clearly amused with his question. Sparrow glances to her left and licks her dry lips.

"He hasn't proposed." Wolfe's head shoots up, his expression incredulous. She avoids his questioning look. "So it seems you hold incorrect information."

"My brother told me you had refused him."

"I have."

"You just said..."

"I know what I just said." She cuts him off abruptly. "I also recall all the events and words that led to my presence here. I refused your brother when he alluded to marriage; I refused your brother when he sent his men after me. I, however, have not yet had the pleasure of refusing his proposal. Does that surprise you?"

Bear chews on the inside of his cheek, considering her words.

Sparrow admires his ability to think his words through before replying to her. Unfortunately as he is about to respond with a witty statement, Logan appears with Lady Claire on his arm and leading a group of servants. Bear leans back and Sparrow wishes he had spoken. His words may have given some more insight into the world she has just found herself within. The servants set some more place settings and bring the food in on large dishes and set them up in the middle of the table. Logan prepares his mother a dish before sorting out his own. It is only when their mother has her food and is seated that the other brothers collect their food. Sparrow selects a few foods that require little attention.

"So what were you discussing?" Lady Claire inquires.

Bear meets Sparrow's gaze, interested to hear her response. Sparrow mimes closing her mouth and throwing away the key. Lady Claire looks around the table and sees that all her children avoid her gaze and that their guest is unwilling to speak. Her gaze briefly rests on Hunter and she swallows the lump that rose within her throat.

Hunter feels her gaze, however brief it was, and his shoulders tense up and the cloud constantly hanging over his head thickens, thunder rumbling and lightening sparking. He raises his head. "We were discussing whether Wolfe is brave enough to ask Sparrow to marry him, properly."

"I'll ask her when she'll reply with yes." Wolfe replies with a grimace. Hunter shakes his head and bites into the chicken leg.

Sparrow mirrors his incredulousness, "So never then. I'm glad that's cleared up. Must we wait until dinner is over or can we start negotiating?" She tilts her head towards him.