Chapter 27

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy

Her head swims, the pressure of his fingers closing off oxygen, her head injury pulsing through her skull, she finds it difficult to think properly. She weighs the dagger in her hands, unwilling to use it just yet. He knows she has it, he knows she knows how to use it; he has challenged her to use it. She would have to act quickly and react to any actions he would then reply with. Sparrow wishes she knew more about him. Gavriel kept to the shadows usually and no information was carried between lands concerning him.

His fingers squeeze tighter and black spots gather in her vision. His brow furrows, his eyes a dark murky grey before her. He lifts her off the ground, her feet dangling several inches above the ground. Still she does not react. She presses her free hand against his chest and her suspicions are well founded. Beneath her palm, lays not only a shirt but also a hard cold surface. He wears a thin metal vest beneath his clothes. A dagger would have to be driven in with a lot of force to tear it. The same strength of force, that Sparrow feels slowly draining away with her breath.

It would not be wise to try to inflict damage. Not yet. Someone must come to her aid soon; surely Wolfe wouldn't let the Ricell brothers have free rein of his home without someone watching them. The seconds tick by and still no one appears. Gavriel had said his brother was keeping watch. But which one? Gethin or Jasiel? Sparrow cannot believe that Jasiel would be allowing this kind of treatment. But he must know. From what Sparrow saw visiting them before, Jasiel was the intelligence and he was the one their people wished to rule. Gethin and Gavriel had allowed him to speak for them.

The black is overwhelming now, only glimpses of the room get through to her.

"You...don't...want...to... ....do....this." She gasps out, her free hand coming up to try and pry his fingers away from her throat. He pushes her to the side and against the wall. No longer will anyone see them in the window. His fingers loosen slightly but not enough for her to make an escape. She welcomes in a large inhale of air.

"Tell me little one, why not?" He taunts, bringing his face next to hers. She gulps and turns her eyes towards him.

"This is an act of war. You have as much admitted it, you are afraid of my lands being joined with Wolfe's." His fingers tighten once again and she chokes on her next words. He bashes her against the wall and her head screams with agony, the sound unable to tear from her throat.

"Do not try to threaten me!" He growls, his breath hot on her ear. "If we go to war, I will win."

"You will lose." Sparrow argues; the dagger heavy in her hand. He hasn't bothered to remove it from her grasp. He doesn't think she will use it. Still no one comes. She knows she isn't a damsel in distress. She knows what she must do. She turns her head so her voice directly enters his ear. "Be ready." She drives the dagger into the top of his arm, feeling sick as she feels warm blood splutter out onto her hand.

He howls in pain and in that moment his fingers release. Sparrow hits the ground, her knees bending, and her body going low to the floor on contact. He reaches for her but she has already darted past him. She races for the door, her hand rubbing at her throat. She hears his heavy footsteps behind her but she doesn't turn. Turning would waste precious seconds. She skids out into the hallway and sees the tall shadow of Gethin. His head swivels around at the sound of the door banging. Their eyes make contact.

Sparrow twists and runs the other way. His footsteps join his brother's. Her throat hurts too much to shout and her mind can only comprehend that she needs to run, the dizziness threatening to take over. She heads for the stairs; all the doors along her way are closed, except for one. As she sails past it, her body is yanked to an abrupt halt. She is pulled backwards into the dark room, the door shut within seconds behind them. Her heart sounds heavy in a loud repetitive thud. Two strong arms hold her steady, a low voice murmuring close to her ear.