Chapter 38

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy

Six weeks later

Their home comes into view and Sparrow pulls back and Shadow falls out of the canter with a toss of his head. Starling, whether aware or not of Sparrow slowing down, doesn't pull back but instead gives her horse his head and sails towards their home, her hair trailing out behind her. Ra guides Slate beside Shadow and waits with some patience for Sparrow to speak. She glances sideways at him, biting her lower lip so hard that the colour has drained away. With a squeeze of her fingers Shadow halts and she allows him more rein so that he can graze on the grass.

No longer is the ground hard or frozen. The seasons are changing and warmer air is floating in. The first shoots of plants are making their debut. The sun shines above in a clear blue sky. No more thunderstorms on the horizon.

Starling has almost reached the manor house and they both watch as she dismounts, removes the saddle and bridle from her horse and sets him free. She then takes off in a sprint to see her father. She has been greatly worried about him throughout her absence and she knows she must ask his forgiveness immediately. She does so hope that his health has not worsened during her time away. She could never forgive herself if that was the case. She disappears through the doors and that is when Sparrow sighs loudly and looks over her shoulder.

"It may be too late to turn back now." Ra comments with humour evident in his voice. Sparrow rolls her eyes but does not release her lip from her white teeth. "Do not tell me that the girl who stood up to Wolfe and Hunter is nervous of seeing her father."

"He will be angry with me." Her lower lip gradually fills with colour as her words force her to take away the pressure. "I did not protect Raven as well as I should have and my actions caused yet another of his children to brave the awful weather. I fear this may be the final straw."

"Sparrow." He reaches out and touches her arm. Her gaze flits to his, her eyes tired and her face weary. "Your father should be proud of you. Just think of what you have achieved."

The door opens ahead of them and Sparrow immediately recognises the figure that steps out. "He may think I have stepped out of line with the agreement. Someone will have to go to Usani and train the warriors there." As an afterthought she adds, "We will not tell him that you were the one who left my sister unconscious. He will not forgive that."

She nudges Shadow's sides and his head jolts up and he leisurely walks closer to the Iceni manor. The figure meets them halfway and Sparrow dismounts, Ra not far behind. Sparrow takes two steps towards him before she sinks to her knees. The man laughs gently at her bowed head. He nods at Ra.

"Forgive me Uncle... nothing has gone right for several months."

He kneels down before her and her green eyes meet his identical green eyes. He takes her hands in his. "There is nothing to forgive. I am so pleased you are home." He gets to his feet and pulls her up also. Once they are both standing he embraces her and holds on tight. "Your father has been going out of his mind worrying about you." Sparrow drops her head onto his shoulder and exhales deeply.

He pulls away first and studies Ra. A slow smile grows on his face. "You look very familiar. I am relieved to see you again, you vanished so quickly."

"I apologise but this was not the place for me then." They greet each other as warriors, clasping forearms. Sparrow looks towards the silver stone building. Her uncle Hawk notices her gaze.

"You should go, I will see to your horse. Your father will be happy to see you." Sparrow accepts his words and jogs off into her home, even though it does not feel like home anymore. Another place has taken root in that role.