Chapter 6

"What did your mum say about kicking?"

"Not to do it. But you deserved it." The little girl huffed and passed by in front of Sparrow. She's cute with brown ringlets and wide blue eyes. "I'm sorry." She adds in a whisper.

"You're forgiven, just don't do it again." The man passes and Sparrow instantly sees the likeness to Wolfe. This man seems older but he has the same broad muscular shoulders and arms. His brown eyes gaze affectionately at what could only be his daughter. Unlike Wolfe, this man has a fully grown beard of curly brown hair. They must be brothers. "Tilly.." He glances to his side, sensing eyes watching him. Sparrow can't move from his line of vision fast enough. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

Sparrow gives a grimacing smile, unable to make a genuine one. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have hid when I saw you coming. I'm just trying to avoid someone." The truth falls from her lips and she hopes she has done the right thing.

"No worries." He tries to think if he's ever seen her before but his mind comes up blank. "Are you hiding from one of my brothers, maybe Hunter?"

"No, not Hunter. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting all of you brothers." Bronco grins at how the words come so fake from her mouth. Sparrow realises and continues, "perhaps I don't think it'd be such a pleasure. I'd just like to go home." Bronco studies her while she speaks. She stands like royalty and the dress fits her perfectly but something just seems wrong about the image to him. "I should go."

"No." Sparrow's eyes flash and he sees the anxiety that settled just for a second. "It's much too cold and dark outside. You should stay the night. I am sure my younger brother would give you a room to stay in." Before he has even got the words fully out of his mouth she shakes her head. "Wolfe is very generous."

"I'm sure he is but I haven't got far to go. Please don't bother anyone, especially him, you would embarrass me greatly." Tilly tugs on her father's arm to get his attention.

"I think she is avoiding Wolfe daddy. Can we take her back to ours?" Sparrow can't help the laugh that slips from her throat. Bronco smiles unsurely. The beast of a man has no idea what to do.

"You're avoiding Wolfe?"

"Maybe. Please I just want to go home." Sparrow flutters her eyelashes her gaze drifting to the floor, hating herself for acting like a vulnerable young girl. It's only the warning siren in her mind that stops her from proving that she's fully capable of surviving out in the cold and dark.

"Come to our home tonight. My wife would never forgive me if I didn't ask you too. You may leave in the morning with some more suitable clothes and supplies." Tilly jumps up and down in excitement and Sparrow spares him a sweet smile.

"I would be very grateful but please, tell no one else of my presence here. I fear because I am from Iceni that ill feelings may remain because of the Lady Raven." Bronco nods once in understanding. "Thank you. I appreciate your kindness towards me."

"Follow us then." Bronco takes his daughter's hand and takes long, easy strides towards the manor's doors. Sparrow follows making sure to keep her footfalls quiet. The maid, Lydia, enters the hall carrying a tray of food. Sparrow cringes, the maid will surely recognise her and convincing Bronco will have been for naught. Somehow the maid doesn't notice her as she takes account of Bronco's presence and lowers her head. A rosy hue coats her cheeks. Chuckling quietly, Sparrow watches the maid scurry past her without even acknowledging her. Sparrow quickens her steps, it shouldn't take too long for the maid to realise she is no longer within her room.

"We should hurry." Tilly laughs and starts to run. Bronco rolls his eyes and speeds up; too often he has lost sight of his daughter when she has darted off.