Chapter 18

Starling woke with some confusion. She must have fallen asleep again shortly after Sparrow left the room. The weight and the heat of having so many blankets piled on top of her are unbearable. Quickly she sits up and flinches. She isn't alone. She hurriedly clutches one of the blankets and brings it up to her chin. This is highly improper, a young man in her room without another woman present.

He lifts his head from reading and places it down on his lap. Dark green eyes meet hers and involuntarily a smile lifts her lips. She finds him very handsome in a reserved, peaceful way. She never much liked beards but his is short and well kept. She shakes her head and her lips part ready for to speak.

"Is your vision blurry? How does your head feel?" He rises and crosses the distance between them in quick, long strides. His hand comes towards her forehead and she flinches back. He withdraws his hand quickly and she sees something flash across his face. Amusement, maybe. How dare he?!

"I'm absolutely fine. What are you doing here?" He frowns slightly and gestures to the broth on the table by the side of the bed. It's still steaming.

"Watching over you." His reply is simple. He lifts up the bowl and holds it out to her. "You should eat."

She purses her lips, unwilling to release the blanket. She is wearing nothing but her undergarments. His mind whirs and finally he understands. He sets the bowl back down and takes a small bow; barely folding over his shoulders. "I shall leave you to eat. If you need me, call out and ask for Logan." He spins round on his heels and strides to the door.

His hand is on the handle when she calls out, "Where is my sister?"

His shoulders shrug in answer and the next moment he has left the room. She allows the blanket to drop and reaches for the bowl. Her numb fingers instantly warm and she sips from the bowl. Her insides feel like they are burning so she takes smaller sips until she has finished. She looks across the room. Why is her sister not at her side?

○ ○ ○

Wolfe finds her where he least expects. He had even checked his own study before finding her in the library. She had eaten with him in the kitchen and quickly dismissed herself. He assumed she had gone to sit with her sister but Logan informed him that he hadn't seen her all afternoon. She doesn't stir when he enters the room. The fire is down to its embers now and is only emitting the barest of heats. He takes a deep breath before stepping further into the room. He is surprised she has made no move to add to the fire.

"I lied." He admits, referring to their recent conversation about fears. Her green eyes flick to him and she tugs her lower lip into her mouth.

"I know. I think that's why I was harsh with you." She twists some of her hair between her fingers. "Someone will make you a great wife one day, and she will not be miserable. But she will not be me."

"We shall see." She smiles sadly but doesn't argue. He sits down beside the fire on the footstool and picks up a log and throws it in. The flames welcome it and feed off it growing in height and number. "I've never liked this room."

"Why?"

"My father died in this room."

"Why have you come to find me?" She changes the subject and the weight that was gradually strangling his lungs releases.

"Your sister is asking where you are. Why aren't you with her?"

"She isn't a fool. She would never make such a dangerous trip unless she absolutely had to. I'm worried what message she brings. It scares me that she could tell me of a war, or an illness that is killing my people. Am I a coward trying to avoid that?"