Chapter 34

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy

The servants bustle over and fill everyone's glasses up with more wine. A group of four men and one woman enter the room and place themselves by or behind some instruments. Slowly but surely they begin to pluck strings and tap gently on drums and a melody tinkles into existence. Sparrow turns, sensing a presence over her shoulder. Ra grins easily down at her, his hand outstretched and open. "Spar, would you do me the honour of this dance?"

Wolfe chuckles and stands, moving down the table. Sparrow takes Ra's hand and allows him to guide her on to the dance floor. She watches as Wolfe bows quickly to Starling and offers his hand. A mildly irritating stab to her gut that others would recognise as mild jealously shocks her. Her attention redirects. Others have moved on to the dance floor around them and the music changes to the start of a recognisable song. The woman's haunting voice floats above the music. Ra bows and she curtseys before her hand slips into his and his free hand lays against her waist.

They twist and turn, always aware of the other couples but never bumping into one another. "I want to ask you something but I fear I may be stepping out of decency."

Ra raises an eyebrow and spins her around in time with the other couples. He brings her back in to speak. "I do not believe that you have held back from asking me anything before. Why start now?"

"I will be returning home..." Another twirl in time with the music before she can continue, "in a few days..." He spins her on the spot three times, her skirt fanning out.

"I have already been informed."

She smiles when they return to dancing together, hand on waist, hand on shoulder. "I was not finished. I wanted to ask you if you would escort my sister and I home. I do not believe we will encounter danger but with my head wound and the responsibility of taking my sister home..." he spins her around, not because of the other couples. He wants her to stop talking.

"I would be honoured." Sparrow smiles softly. "I also believe I have something to ask of you." Ra adds, again spinning her three times on the spot in time with everyone else. This music is coming to an end; another song will take its place. "I wish to stay in Iceni and be one of your trusted warriors."

Sparrow's mouth drops open and naturally her gaze lands on Wolfe. "But... Wolfe will be angry. You are one of his best friends; I do not think I could do that to him."

"I will ask permission from Wolfe but I miss home and I wish to help you make it a better place. I pledge my allegiance to you."

"You should not pledge to me, wait until we return home and pledge your allegiance to my uncle, the head warrior." Ra releases her and steps back. He bows and she does in response, forgetting that her role called for her to curtsey.

"I know exactly who I want to pledge to, Sparrow. You have my loyalty and my protection, always. Your uncle has no need of me." His whole bearing is serious and Sparrow feels joy bubbling up within her at his careful words but she cannot help but tease him back.

"When did I ever say I needed your protection, Ra?"

"I give it return for your loyalty and protection, do not think you are special." He nudges her arm gently then nods his head to someone behind her. Sparrow turns and her eyes sparkle in the light.

"Jag. Do you wish to have the next dance?" He nods and bows low. Sparrow takes his hand and pulls him towards Ra. "Go on then but I do hate to give up a partner." She laughs as she quickly scurries away, glancing over her shoulder to see both men gobsmacked and half way amused. It doesn't catch them off guard for long. Ra returns to the table to take his seat and Jag offers his hand to the woman who believed Sparrow was feeling unwell on her dinner. Sara, Sparrow, believes her name is.