Chapter 21

"Lord Wolfe." He massages his forehead before finally seeing who has dared to intrude his time within his study. The low female tone leads to one culprit and Wolfe certainly didn't want to deal with her right now. She dulled her sister's attitude to a point he found difficult to understand. She never stopped chattering away. It was no surprise that all of his brothers had found some excuse to be out of the manor at this point in time. With the way things were going he doubted he'd see them much in the coming weeks.

Hunter had quickly pronounced that the men needed training in the forest. Logan had vanished to one of the villages where a mysterious illness had appeared. This Wolfe found hard to believe. Any news of illnesses within his lands and he was the first informed. He'd heard nothing and Logan had refused to directly meet his eyes for more than a few seconds. Bronco had declared he was taking Tilly out to one of the neighbouring farms to obtain a new horse; of course Wolfe would have to pay for it after making a deal with his niece. Then there was Bear who had gave no excuses but simply said he was unwilling to remain indoors any longer.

He frowns, the image he was expecting to see not in line with his actual vision. She tilts her head and steps forward, her hand reaching out to touch his forehead. Her cool palm rests against his head briefly before she declares in a very sombre voice, "No fever, but your eyes are very twitchy right now. I'm afraid my sister has that effect on people."

"Sparrow."

"That's my name but I believe you must call me Warrior Sparrow, Lord Wolfe."

She settles in the small chair and props her feet up on his desk. "She isn't like you."

"No, we're all quite different. I love her but," she exhales loudly.

"But?" Wolfe prompts, leaning back in his seat. His eyes flick to her bandage, he's relieved to see no blots of red leaking through. A clean cut, he should thank Ra for not seriously harming his intended. But then again, Ra had inflicted pain in the first place. Sparrow notices his line of thought and folds her arms against her stomach.

"She's the second oldest and my father's confidant. She's been by his side since she was little and she's been to every important dinner and dance that he's been to. She knows how to talk, how to act and she excels where I struggle. We're just different. But that's a good thing."

"Why is that?" The moment the question springs from his throat, he regrets it.

"She's exactly what you need as a wife. Smart, beautiful and someone who won't embarrass you by being covered in blood."

"We're not speaking about this anymore. Our betrothal is the only time you can bring up who I should marry."

"As you wish, Lord Wolfe." She grins and pulls her feet back and places them on the ground. Those blue eyes follow her movements and she knows she should leave. Instead she leans forward and studies the maps he has laid across his desk.

"If you wish to help, we drop the titles, Sparrow." She nods, giving in easily. The title usage annoyed her usually and she only reverted to it to annoy him. She traces the map with her finger following the river that flows through Usani and into her lands.

"So you mentioned an agreement we can make outside of marriage." Wolfe pointedly waits. "Wolfe." She chuckles as she says his name, her face instantly making him smile.

"Choose what you are in greatest need of."

"Food, we are in great need of food. As soon as the winter ends my people will be scavenging for food."

Wolfe pulls a sheet of paper and a quill. Sparrow waits and watches as his thoughts etch onto the page, the ink moving smoothly across the page creating words and sentences. He turns it around for her to read.