Chapter 5

"When did you start training with your Warrior Hawk?" Jag asks, feeling that the silence had lasted far too long.

"Jag..!" Ra grumbles lowly, shooting him a glare. "She's not going to become your friend again. Don't bother trying." Jag presses his lips together and watches the floor get eaten away by his horse's hooves. Leo quickly directs his horse to walk to the side of Ra and smacks the back of his head.

"Don't be a fool Ra, he wants to talk, let him. It's her choice whether or not to reply." Ra expertly knocks Leo to the side and nudges his horse faster. Leo laughs loudly as he regains his balance. "Temper." Ra grins.

"I apologise brother, I was wrong." Jag nods his head in recognition. "When did you start Sparrow?" His shoulders tense as for several long moments she remains silent.

"I started training with My Uncle Warrior Hawk when I was eight. When did you?" She feels his muscles bunch up and she tilts her head forward, her hair creating a curtain around her face. She smirks. "He taught you, he must have. He always preached that you should make your opponent question their actions."

"Ten." Ra grinds out.

"So you were in a family of worth, otherwise you would not have had the chance until you were fourteen."

"That's not always the situation. Ra and I were different. We captured your Uncle's interest. I pick pocketed and he stood up to whoever caught me. He wanted to direct our talents in a more worthwhile endeavour." Jag chuckles.

"He did a great job," Sparrow replies sarcastically, "pick pockets and now you're kidnappers."

"He clearly didn't teach us that. He taught us honour, loyalty..."

"Loyalty?! I apologise, I didn't realise. Where is your loyalty to the people you were born into? You belong to Leader Wolfe, what did he do to earn this so called loyalty of yours?" Sparrow interrogated.

This time Ra answered, "My loyalty lies with the most money. Wolfe is generous and he will never fall to ruin. If you had more than him, I would gladly have assisted you home and my loyalty would be yours." Jag gapes at his friend's blatant remarks. "Does that displease you?"

"It sounds about right. Thank you."

"For what?"

"For making it that little bit easier for me to hate you and to get used to the idea," she takes a deep breath, "of killing my first. I shouldn't have hesitated before." Leo watches Sparrow speak coldly, her face hard and set. Jag drops back. Ra stays expressionless as he replies,

"No you shouldn't have. Unfortunately for you, I'll never give you that opportunity again."

"Then I'll make one. It sure will be interesting when Wolfe finds out." She falls silent and no more attempts on Jag's part are received vocally.

The group break into an easy canter. The grass crunches below their feet, carrying them through to midday.

They don't stop the horses, only bringing them down to a steady walk. Leo hands out the food; he offers Sparrow some beef jerky which she takes quickly. No point in starving herself, she'll need strength to escape. Ra however refuses; brushing off Leo's concerned gesture.

Two weeks later

The manor comes into view and the three men allow grins to slip onto their previously sombre faces. Sparrow shivers, blaming it on the icy cold wind attacking her skin. Her lips tint blue and her skin is an alarming shade of red where the cold has invaded past her clothes. She curses inwardly for refusing Jag's numerous attempts to give her his cloak. Two young men come into view from the stables and make their way towards the weary travellers. Leo dismounts first and helps Sparrow down. For the first time in almost a week she meets his eyes. Hating him, he looks away, her eyes pierce his heart.