Chapter 9

Wolfe frowns and abruptly swallows his mouthful, what is she doing? She avoids his gaze as he had done to her before. Lady Clair frowns, the smug smile dropping from her lips. Ra rises almost as if to push Sparrow back down to sit but a quick look from Leo has him standing aimlessly. All eighty eyes rest on Sparrow, intrigued to hear her speak once more.

Sparrow takes note of all within and notices one man, about her age glaring at her. She has never met his acquaintance but she can feel the hatred radiating from him.

His hair is a startling dark black, a black that seems to swallow the light surrounding it, and his eyes are almost as dark with one slight twinge of a spark within. His eyebrows are heavy as he glares at her from beneath them. His face is clear of hair and his strong straight jaw visibly clenches as he waits for her to speak.

It unbalances her for a moment and the words she had every intention of saying drift from her reach. She removes her eyes from his presence and searches for another face to focus on. Bronco and his wife sit at the far end of the table and Sparrow feels her tension fade away and the words come back into her mouth.

"People of the Usani Lands, I humbly ask for your forgiveness." She sees Wolfe narrow his eyes momentarily before he returns his face back to a listening one. "Your Lord Wolfe, has lied to you..." he shifts in his chair, his mouth dropping open to speak but she carries on, "and I am afraid that it is my fault." His jaw snaps shut. "I confused him," she smiles and shrugs her shoulders getting a few small laughs from those around her. Wolfe does his best not to frown. She knows how to play the game he has set them both on. It only makes him admire her more. "I agreed to attend this dinner tonight, in my honour, although that's incredible embarrassing for me."

This admission makes the Usani people look more kindly upon her but she isn't finished. "But then, I believe some of our conversation got lost in translation." She places her hand on Wolfe's shoulder with a firm grin on her lips. "I am not in any place to negotiate or come to any agreement with Wolfe. I am the youngest in my family and not equipped for such deep discussions. I clearly did not explain this very well, my words get tangled when I'm nervous." To prove her words she lets out a small giggle and her cheeks colour ever so slightly. "I must go home tomorrow and I will send someone, who willingly, will agree to come and stay for the duration of these discussions."

Wolfe, once again, stands and Sparrow rolls her shoulder back to ease the tension that he has caused within her shoulders. Before she can speak again he says, "I apologise, from the bottom of my heart for misunderstanding you." He offers his hand for her to take and Sparrow warily studies his face but she is unable to read even a smidgeon of his thoughts. With great caution, she places her hand in his and does her best not to grimace. "However, your journey home will take place in the most atrocious weather and I cannot guarantee your safety. Then of course you will have to send out someone else and they too must travel across these lands with danger at every turn. I as a man cannot allow this to happen, especially to the youngest of Iceni family."

Sparrow's jaw flexes.

"I believe that we can come to an agreement between ourselves and anything you are not able to cover or offer will be agreed upon with your father after the awful weather has passed."

"We could come to an agreement much quicker if you were reasonable, my Lord." Sparrow replies, her voice light for those listening.

"I have been more than reasonable." He stops and then switches the conversation, "any further discussions will be held over the next few weeks, for now enjoy your dinner Sparrow."

She retracts her hand quickly.

She sits and quickly eats what has been set on her plate. Many conversations take place around her but she's not in the mood to eavesdrop. Wolfe has once again beaten her. She cannot allow this to happen again. She needs to plan, she needs to find allies. If she indeed has to remain here then she needs those she can trust around her. She smiles, Ra gave her a very useful piece of information, if only he knew what he'd done.