Chapter 29

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy

Sparrow hands across the agreement. Jasiel scans it and lets out a short laugh when he sees the agreement not only contains conditions between Ricell and Iceni, but between Ricell and Usani also. Gethin hovers over his brother's shoulder, his eyes growing stormy as his irritation grows. Jasiel glances up at her and his lips tweak into a mischievous grin. Sparrow waits warily, wondering why he suddenly lit up.

"Do you not wish to add a clause about how we should react if you marry Wolfe?" Jasiel teases. Gavriel growls and mutters angrily under his breath.

"If I ever marry Wolfe you will have very little choice on how to react." Sparrow's eyes slide over to Gavriel who glares readily at her. "As your brother so kindly pointed out, we would become too great of a threat and you would have to be peaceable."

Gethin snatches the paper from his brother's grasp before he can sign it. Jasiel looks up tiredly. Gethin scowls at Sparrow. "You cannot sign this. It weakens us."

"Your actions have weakened us. This agreement protects your lives." He holds his hand out, expecting his brother to give it back to him. Gethin moves as if to tear it.

"You do not want to do that." Sparrow warns and his dark grey eyes fly to meet hers. "You tear up that agreement and I inform Wolfe, then I inform Hunter and last of all I inform my uncle Hawke. Tear up that agreement and I promise you the Usani and the Iceni lands will unite. Your worse fears will come true." Her voice is calm, collected and holds an edge of finality.

Gavriel rises and joins his brother, his eyes quickly scanning the words. He cringes and shakes his head. "Jasiel, my brother, you cannot sign this. We could easily finish this so simply. Leave the room and you will not be held accountable for anything that happens." The threat is obvious and Sparrow removes a dagger hanging from her belt. She tosses it in the air and smiles brightly.

Jasiel snorts and stands, his hands held out towards his brothers and Sparrow in a placatory gesture. "I will not do that. Give me the agreement" His eyes bore into Gethin's. Sparrow shifts slightly and Gavriel smirks at her. She steps towards him and Jasiel shoots her a warning look before his attention returns to Gethin.

Gethin hands back the agreement and Jasiel releases a breath he didn't realise he was holding. Quickly, before he can be interrupted again, he signs it and hands it back to Sparrow. Passing it to her, he doesn't release it straight away, their eyes meet and she sees the apology written within them. She rolls it up and secures it with a piece of red string; she will later seal it with wax to take it home.

Her eyes flicker over his shoulder and she speaks lowly, her words not travelling to them, "You should watch your back from this point on."

"I am fully aware." He smiles and raises his voice, "they would be foolish to think that they could harm me though."

"Wolfe is waiting for you downstairs," his forehead creases, perhaps thinking she has double crossed him, "there is news of your sister." He smiles and glances back at his brothers. Gavriel pulls on a new shirt, his injury hidden from view.

"Thank you Sparrow." His brothers straighten up. "Let's go." All three file out of the room. When the room is empty she sinks to the floor, her back against the wall, the agreement clasped to her chest. Standing in the same room as someone who wanted to kill her makes her knees feel weak.

There is a knock on the door and her head jerks to the noise. The door opens slowly and a head peeks in. Sparrow gives him a shaky smile. The head disappears and speaks to someone out of her view. He walks in followed shortly by Starling. Both sit down on either side of her. Starling puts an arm around her shoulders and Sparrow rests her head against her shoulder. Bear nudges her, a small smile on his lips. Sparrow closes her eyes briefly, tiredness taking over.