Chapter 2

She glances at her sister, pleased to see that she is already asleep. The guilt clearly has already lifted. Sparrow is just relieved she has silence. She needs to think. She was expecting to see Raven and Wolfe fairly happy in the arrangement and she was meant to make Raven even happier by bringing messages from home. The letters still remain unopened in Sparrow's bag by her side. Raven doesn't yet deserve to read the loving words from Robin, Starling and Dove. And she most certainly does not deserve to read their loving and doting Father's words thanking her for the honour and sacrifice she was giving for her family.

Or maybe she does. Maybe she needs to read the words so she will greet him with her eyes lowered and be completely in submission. Sparrow knows her father; he will be angry, sad then absolutely humiliated. But she knows that he will forgive and it won't take long or much.

For Sparrow, though, forgiving is much harder. She has not been brought up to be sympathetic or understanding and it isn't in her nature. She will try though, it is her sister. She clicks her tongue again and the mare's ears prick forward eagerly. A smile lifts her lips and she starts to hum. The mare needs constant reassurance whenever the wind picks up. She is generally a calm, obedient creature but if the wind moves a tree or a bush a certain way, she will take fright and run. The weather is not in Sparrow's favour, even less so now she has to be more careful with her sister joining her. Her father will not be so forgiving if either of them got hurt.

○ ○ ○

Before Wolfe stands his three most trusted men. Only one stands tall and wide depicting great strength. The other two are shorter and somewhat on the slender side but both are smarter than they look and are quick and agile. The great Man is called Leo, the other two Jag and Ra. "I have an important mission for you, there are two women travelling by cart to the Iceni lands. One fair and one dark. You are to follow them, travel with them if you can. Travel with them for three weeks, the dark one will then know her way home and not be in great danger. You are then to kidnap the fair one and bring her back to me."

Jag and Ra exchange a look before turning to their leader, "Is this wise? We can assume the dark one you speak about was your betrothed. What would you want with her companion?" Wolfe stares Jag down, Jag does not break the gaze and Wolfe sighs. Jag always speaks out of turn despite being taught many times not to.

"To get to know her better. The great snow will be coming soon, getting between our lands will be near impossible. She will not escape and no one will come after her until it is safe to do so. That should be many months."

"My son; Sparrow will not take this well and neither will her father. You should speak with him; maybe she will agree to spend some time with you without being forced. That woman demands respect and you should give her that respect." Lady Claire enters the room, a clear disapproving gaze directed at him.

Jag's eyebrows rise and he smiles. "No, my Lord, Sparrow would be very unhappy." Wolfe frowns and watches as Jag's face lights up as if remembering a fond memory.

"I will speak to him when he comes for her in the spring. By then she will be my wife. Go, my men, you have some catching up to do." His men leave and gather their gear to look like travellers and kidnap Sparrow. Jag laughs under his breath as Ra states quite clearly that it will be a miracle if Sparrow agrees to the marriage, especially without her father's blessing. Sparrow is a subject of discussion between many because of the path she has chosen to take in her life.

○ ○ ○

Sparrow is on edge, they have been travelling for a week. Raven and she have not yet spoken. Three men have been half a day behind them for the last three days, and they are starting to catch up. They aren't dressed like Usani which she is abundantly thankful for. She doesn't want to be fighting men away from her sister because they feel the need to avenge their leader. They appear to just be wanderers, but looks can be deceiving. Sparrow gently pulls the mare back. She jumps down and releases the mare from the cart. The mare happily ambles away and within a few moments finds shelter under a tree and starts munching on the grass below. Raven sits upright and looks around confused, the sun is still up in the sky, there is no need to stop yet. "Sister, why do you release the horse? We have many hours we can still ride."