Chapter 41

Dedicated to @randomsweetstuff for the epic cover above!

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"I know how this must sound but I am about to be bound to a man that I never chose to marry. I have gone along with it this far because he has been fair and kind and my mother has been orchestrating my every movement, my every speech. She has even written my wedding vows. How can I say such words of love and endearments when I mean none of them? Please Sparrow, I believe only you can release me from this." She clutches Sparrow's hands between her own, gazing imploringly into her eyes. "I beg of you."

Sparrow snatches her hands back, her right hand naturally gravitating to her hip daggers. Ari doesn't notice this disturbing action. "Surely you can just tell him, you said he has been fair and kind to you." She struggles not to scoff at her own words. Her own refusal had taken a kidnapping and months to be accepted. Ari had only minutes until her ceremony to take place. "Or your mother is sure to understand?" Ari's face falls and her shoulders slump.

"She will not! I cannot ruin this wedding myself. It will bring shame and disgrace to my family and my friends. I cannot embarrass them or Lord Wolfe. There really is no hope unless you know of anyone that Wolfe could not get any angrier with?" She asks without any hope remaining. Only Sparrow's name had ever come up on occasion and had made Wolfe go quiet and frown. She was the only one to whom he had confessed to losing each fight with. Ari knows and she sees now that Sparrow is a formidable opponent. Her long blonde hair hung heavily across her bright metal armour and her eyes spark stubbornly.

Sparrow notices the distress from the girl's face and is unable to quell the compassion she feels. "I will do what I can." Ari freezes, then her whole body vibrates with excitement. Sparrow takes a step back, Raven always dealt with her sisters when they had extreme emotions. "I give no promises that I will succeed." Ari leaps at her, hugging her as tight as she can despite the intricate armour. Sparrow eases her away with a patient expression. "Please do not do that again. You should go. The guests and your mother will be wondering where you are."

Ari's face shines as she rushes back to the Wedding. Spar's face, however, does the opposite. She draws in a deep breath; not allowing herself to shout and scream into the wind. What had she agreed to? She must now attend the wedding, and disrupt it, and bring it to a ground-breaking halt. No easy task. Not when Wolfe is involved, and he had personally asked her to leave. "How do I do this?" She asks herself, "How do I face him again?" You could tell him the truth, a small voice utters from within the dark corners of her mind. She sighs; there is no truth to tell. With a purposeful stride she follows the path back to Wolfe's.

The two men at the door, different to before, recognise her and share a meaningful gaze. Wolfe had instructed for them to keep any troublemakers out of his wedding, they were sure that he was referring specifically to Sparrow. Sparrow halts as they both slowly block the entrance. "I'm guessing that I'm banned from the wedding."

"You are, but we could let you past if you promise to stop this wedding." Jaq states easily. Sparrow tilts her head.

"Is that a test? If I say I am actually here to stop the wedding will you escort me away?" The men shrug their shoulders, she must answer first. "Fine, but you do remember that I have beaten many of you in a fight, I can defeat you." The men shift, clearly getting impatient. "I am here to ruin the wedding." The men move as if to grab hold of her arms but then move apart and chuckle.

Sparrow rolls her eyes and darts between them and joins the crowd of people stood waiting to watch their Lord and his new bride get married. She situates herself near the front in amongst some of his younger men. They wouldn't recognise her as well as the older warriors on the other side of the room. If they did, they were unlikely to stop her anyway. Stop her from what is still unclear inside her own head.