Chapter 42

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"As you wish. I'm sorry; I never gave you a chance. I hardened my heart to the extent where nothing you could do would ever make me like you. I've always been stubborn, stupidly stubborn. My father never wanted me to become a warrior but I disobeyed him at every turn until he had no choice. My stubbornness told me that I could never like someone like you, someone that my sister was supposed to marry. You were so kind and so thoughtful and I ignored it all, put it down to some crafty plan on your part. But you didn't stop, you were fair and you let me say a lot of things you would not have allowed another. I took advantage and I am so sorry. It was wrong of me. But despite everything I did to make you an enemy my heart started to view you as a friend. I am deeply sorry and I will do anything to make it up to you."

"You forced your way into your uncle's position?"

"My uncle was willing to train me and I have proved my worth every step of the way. My father however did not want me to take on such a dangerous role. He wanted me to grow up like my sister and marry."

"So that tradition you brought up so many times, does it actually count for you?"

"My uncle married when he was young, nobody knows because she died shortly after. There is no tradition. My father would encourage me to marry, my uncle would not. He understands heartbreak." Sparrow turns away and inspects a blooming rose, its dark purple vibrant against the pale greens.

Wolfe looks back at the door and pushes out air from his mouth loudly. "So you view me as a friend. I am pleased. But right now I need to return to my wedding and secure my brother's future, alive."

"What if you married someone else? What if you married an Iceni? You could have our warriors, our invasion points. I am sure an arrangement can be struck with the Tikva family without having to marry Arisxandre. Warriors in return for gold or goods."

"I do not want one of your sisters Sparrow."

"I am not suggesting one of them." Her voice drops to just above a whisper. "Yes."

Confusion is present for a few seconds before he thinks back to the last time he saw Sparrow. That night when he kissed her and he was so sure that he had broken through to her, that perhaps she felt something for him too. Those words that had left his mouth that ruined everything. "Marry me?" It had taken weeks to push that memory to the back of his mind. If only he had not said it so soon, plagued him each night.

"I was devastated when I read Bear's letter." Tears spring to her eyes and she blinks rapidly but they settle there. "Not only was Jasiel dead, Logan was being accused of killing him. Then I read that you were marrying another and my destruction was complete. I would do anything to help Logan and I will. I would do anything to stop you marrying her because you do not belong with her. I can be by your side and I can train warriors. I do not have to give up on who I am and it took me far too long to realise that." She rambles on when he does not say anything.

Wolfe just stares at her and she cannot read him. He has not responded in any way. Not a smile, not a frown, nothing to show how he feels about her statement. She has never felt so vulnerable. She drops her gaze to her clasped hands, tremors running through her body. Several long moments pass, then several more.

The door opens again and Sparrow turns, unwilling to see Wolfe's expression just yet. His silence was enough of an answer. Ari closes the door behind her and looks nervously over Sparrow's shoulder. "We should talk." She smiles briefly at Sparrow, "Would you mind?" Sparrow nods her head and escapes hurriedly.

Putting on a calm expression she strides out to the stables and quickly tacks her horse back up. Someone clears their throat behind her. She shivers slightly and turns. The three men who kidnapped her block the exit. "You promised you would say goodbye."