Chapter Four. Goodbye, Friend.

After barricading ourselves in, I surveyed the area. It was pretty small, but it had a good view of the city. I walked over to Takashi, who was easing Hisashi against the railing. "What do you think?" Takashi whispered, looking at Hisashi sadly. "My honest opinion?" He nodded, eyes never leaving Hisashi. "From what I know, the human mouth has not only a seriously nasty amount of bacteria in it, it also can easily bite of a appendage, say a pinkie, as if it was nothing. The best we can do is clean it, maybe keep him from bleeding out." Rei must have overheard us, because she ran over to us, looking between the three. "How.... How high are we?" Hisashi whispered, surprising me. "Umm.. maybe 40, maybe 50 feet in the air... Why?" Hisashi softly chuckled. "You think the fall will kill me?" Stunned by that remark, I slowly realized what he meant. "H-Hisashi! We can't lose hope yet!" Hisashi shook his head. "You, of all people, should know better Quin." Rei kneeled by his side. "Please. You'll... You're gonna be fine." Hisashi opened his mouth to speak, but started to cough violently. I backed up, afraid of the person I once called friend. Rei tried patting his back, but instead of helping, Hisashi now started to cough harder and spewing out blood. "Hisashi!" Rei screamed as Hisashi tried to crawl forwards, coughing. Rei tried to reach for him, but he simply waved her off, flipping on his back. Giving off one final cough and releasing a geyser of near black blood, Hisashi stopped moving. "Rei. You need to move." Rei looked back, and saw Takashi standing with the baseball bat at his side. "N-No! He's gonna be fine!" I put one hand on Rei's shoulder. "Rei. He's gonna turn. You have to move. Don't let the last memory of Hisashi be tainted by him being one of them." Rei looked at me through teary eyes. Before she could answer, Hisashi's hand twitched. Rei noticed the movement and started to shake the body. "See? He's OK! Hisashi! Hisas....." she faltered off as our former friend sat up. "Rei!" I grabbed Rei by her shoulders and pulled her back just before the creature's' hands grabbed her neck. "This is happening now Rei." Takashi said, eyes watching the corpse rise. "Its happening! And we have to fight!" Rei started trying to pull away from me as Takashi charged forwards and brought the baseball bat down on top of the skull of the creature, stilling it forever. Waiting for a minute, I let go of Rei and fell against the railing, feeling like I might vomit. "Rei... I'm so sorry. But it had to be done." Rei seemed to not hear me as she kneeled by one of the people she knew and loved. I tried to get up to comfort her, but Takashi blocked my way with his arm and bat. "Let her be. Let her mourn." Takashi walked over to where the rooftop storage is and slid down the wall, where he sat with his head hung low. I stood their, torn between wanting to help and listening to Takashi. Thinking it was for the best,I went over to where the makeshift barricade was and kept low, slightly keeping watch,but really thinking of how this all got screwed up so much. "I guess its just my dumb luck." I said to the open air. The zombie, I guess that's what I need to accept them as, merely growled and tried to reach me, but I just scooted out of reach. "Sorry Rei. I wish we could save him. We didn't have a choice." Rei just kept sobbing, and the strange combination of her crying, the zombie's growls,and the city outside the gates slowly sent me into a light doze,dragging me down into the darkness of my sleep.