Chapter 22. Suicide Mission

Driving through town, we passed by so many abandoned vehicles, shut down stores, and messed up homes that it was eerie. But what kept my nerves on edge was the fact that we had not seen a single zombie in a hour. Keeping my hammer on hand, I leaned back, trying to relax. "You know," Saeko said, climbing up out of the car. "Its no fun being by yourself." Shrugging, I just kept looking around. Saeko sat next to me, now fully clothed in her school clothes again. "I wanted to talk about last night. What you did was reckless, crazy, and downright suicidal." I said nothing, letting her speak. "You could have gotten bitten. But I guess you were ready, weren't you?" Smiling, I put my hand on Saeko's. "I always have a plan. I just..." I faltered off. "What?" She asked. "Nothing. Just forget it." I said, noticing a bike shop on my right. "Its about Tomeao... I get it. You felt like if you didn't help, you would feel weak. Isn't that right?" I nodded slowly, trying not to let her see my face. "She's only six!" I choked out. "Nobody deserves to die at six years old!" I felt Saeko move her hand and wrap me up in a hug. Sitting like that, I got myself together, thinking about what if I hadn't saved Alice. Before I could say a word,the car swerved, jerking us out of our moment. "We got contact!" Hirano said, poking his head up. "Damn it." I swore and looked ahead. That would prove to be a huge mistake. I saw zombies left and right up ahead. The car swerved left, down another street. This one looked clear, but for some reason, the car slammed its brakes, turning as it skid. We hit something, because one moment I was half standing on the roof, next moment, I was sent flying over the front of the car, crashing to the concrete. The split second before I crashed, I shifted my angle to where I rolled into a wall, instead of landing flat on my back. The force of the impact rocked me, causing me to stumble back to the car. Through my haze, i saw Takashi, Hirano, Katya and Saeko leap out of the car, and into combat. I stood there, stuck on stupid as my friends fought for our lives, and I couldn't do a thing to help. The thought of them dying made me shake off the blur, and think. "Please,God help me now." I muttered. Grabbing everything I owned from the inside, I saw Alice curled up next to Ms.Shizuka and Takagi,crying into Zeke's fur. Muttering a good bye, I charged back out, bobbing in and out of the way, making for a set of stairs that went to a higher level. Reaching the top, I turned around and faced the approaching zombies, Firing the shotgun into the air, I kicked the lead zombie down, while drawing the attention of the ever growing herd. "RUN! I'LL MEET YOU THERE!" Takagi poked her head out of the car. "MEET US AT THE HOUSE ON THE HILL!" She shouted. Waving that I heard her, I fired off shots, leading the horde away from everybody, hopeful that I would see them all very soon.