Chapter nine. Close call

(Ok. Usually you guys don't see this in many books, but this should be where you take a break. Go eat, stretch out, do whatever. This will be here when you get back. Good? All done? Ok. Back to the action)

Through the crowd, I saw a group of people, living people, running and waving their arms. I peered closer, and saw Mr.Koichi leading the way.  My hands balled up, shaking as I was torn between leaving them and helping them. As I debated with myself, I heard Rei yelling at Ms.Shizuka and Takashi to just leave them, that we would regret it. Shaking my head, I pushed Rei back, muttering a apology as I leaned up front. "Leave the door open. Don't close it until either both of us make it, or somebody goes down. Got it?" Ms.Shizuka shook her head,motioning to the front. "What about them. If it gets too crowded, I wont be able to drive through!" "Then improvise!" I yelled, half out the door. I quickly dispatched one zombie who had gotten too close, then raised my ax in the air. "COME ON! HURRY!"I hollered, giving them a idea of where to go. Mr.Koichi looked up, and motioned his students to where I was. Mentally calling myself stupid, I charged in, clearing the group a path. As I had just brought my ax down into the skull of a particularly fat zombie, the head of my weapon snapped cleanly off. Without thinking, my hands automatically shifted to a kendo grip. I felt someone pull me back, just as the zombie I killed flopped to the ground. I whipped around, ax handled raised. I almost had brought down the handle, when i saw it was a one of the people from Koichi's group. "Come on!" She yelled, eyes flashing . "You coming or not?!" I pushed her to the bus, swinging and bashing anything that stood in our way. I saw the bus starting to roll, so I had to give the girl a huge push, sending her stumbling into the door and into safety. I started weaving in and out, not aiming for the bus, but where its path would take it. I had set up 15 feet away from the gate and started to wave, when I heard the bus start to roar closer. Praying that my plan would work, I ran towards the bus, arm outstretched for help. Somebody had stuck their arm out as I had closed in, tensing for the impact. At the last moment is a huge understatement. I literally leaped up for their arm, when I was snagged by the forwards motion of the bus. Whoever had a grip on me shouted something, but I couldn't hear them. Struggling to pull myself in, I was grabbed by another pair of hands. Using the last ounce of strength I had, I heaved myself into the bus just as we smashed through the gates. I flew inside, and landed in a pile of people.  "Next time I say we leave," Koichi's sickeningly sweet voice chided, "We leave. That was too risky for us." Groaning inwardly, I picked myself up off the two people who had save my skin, when I saw saw it was the girl from earlier, and Saeko. "Ummm... thanks guys." I stammered, helping them to their feet. Saeko nodded, trying to hide a grin. The other girl glared at me and turned on her heel, picking her way to a empty seat, where she plopped down. "Chilly." I said, plopping down next to Saeko, rubbing my shoulder. "What you did for them was really dumb." Saeko commented. I glanced at her, then looked away. "But it was a good kind of dumb." I tried not to grin,as I let sleep carry me away, exhausted from today's insanity.