Chapter 34. One Last Time.

The following hours, I patrolled the perimeter with the usual patrol teams. I moved silently, while the others yammered and acted like women in a parlor gossiping. Saeko, briefed on the situation,was no longer dressed in her kimono. She now followed me on patrol, staying right by me. At our break time, when patrol teams switched off, Katya walked up to us. "How's Alice and Zeke holding up?" I asked. "They're doing pretty well... Alice is cooking with Takagi over a fire stove. She thinks its the coolest thing, seeing a fire cook our food." Katya shook her head, her hair leaving trails of color behind. "If she only knew." Nodding my head, I walked towards the house, the girls following behind me, talking about something. Entering the house, I turned around. "I think we should be packing our gear together. Being prepared for anything won't hurt." Katya nodded. "Right. Should I go tell Takashi and Rei?" I nodded. "Get the love birds off their asses. Its time to wake up." Turning away to face the stairs, I said one final thing. "Do a self check on your gear. We can't have any faulty weapons, or misplaced supplies." Running up the stairs, I jogged down the hall to my room, and entered, shutting the door behind me.

Three hours later, at 8:30 p.m.

I was sitting on my bed, staring at the revolver the Don had given me, when I heard a knock on the door. Slipping the gun inside the jacket I now wore, I called for them to come on in. Saeko walked in, face set in a serious expression. "Your gear set up?" I asked, rising. Saeko threw a duffel bag in front of me, filled with her stuff. "Good. Then we should-" I was cut off by screams outside, and gunshots rang out. "Shit. We've got company. Those assholes on patrol four must have been caught with their pants down." Grabbing the revolver from under the pillow, I slid it into my pants pocket. Turning to Saeko, I cringed as I said the next few words. "Hold onto these for me." Handing her my jacket, my Markov, and my dagger, I took off my sunglasses. "Give these to Alice. I think that she would like them." "You promised you wouldn't run." Saeko said quietly, shocking me. "Well.... I gotta run this one last time. Don't forget what I told you. Now get everyone to the garage. I'll buy you some time." Saeko turned slowly around. Before she could get to the door, I took a few steps across the room, then spun her around. "I love you, Saeko Busujima. Don't forget that, if I make it, or if I don't, always remember that." Using the last ounce of courage I had left, I pulled her in, and kissed her deeply. A explosion occurred outside, but I didn't care. All I cared about was making sure I came back. If not for my sake, but for Saeko. Pulling myself back, I opened the door behind Saeko, and rushed out, pulling out my sledgehammer as I charged, mind in a whirlwind of emotions. "For Saeko." I said, rushing out the doors, and into the chaos outside.