Chapter 19. Enough is enough.

Watching from the balcony, we saw a man in a torn up business suit fire a double barrel shotgun into a crowd of zombies. "He's dead." I coldly stated, motioning to the horde at his back. A few shots later, the man dropped his ammo on the ground. Scrambling to retrieve his fallen ammo, the man dived right into the horde. The last trace of the man was nothing visible, but his screams echoed throughout the neighborhood. I stayed out on the balcony, watching the horde feed. I heard Takashi, Saeko and Hirano argue quietly inside. I felt the bulge of the Markov in my jacket, tempting me to shoot into the crowd. Fighting that urge, I pulled out the scope from the shotgun, and stared out, looking at the swarm of bodies. Movement caught my eye in the scope,movement that is too quick and fluid for a zombie. Turning the scope on the source,I saw a girl of about 5 or 6 quickly walking hand in hand with a man that looked mid-30's. "Guys. We got a pair of live ones." I said, eyes watching as the man, probably the girl's father, lead her into a gated house. Shutting the gates behind them, the father went up to the door and pounded on the door, saying something. "What's going on?" Saeko said, right by my side. Tossing her my scope, I kept my eyes on the spot. Saeko peered through, and watched. "He's getting frustrated." She narrated, keeping me informed. "He's pretty mad. Wait... he's raising back some kind of giant wrench. He's about to swing... wait... he's putting it back down. He's reaching for the door. The doors opening and... Oh my god!" She exclaimed. Snatching the scope back, I jammed it against my eye in time to see the father stumble back, his pristine white long sleeve shirt stained with a cranberry looking color. I saw right next to him his daughter, who saw the only person she knew, hurt and bleeding. Throwing the scope to the ground in disgust, I stormed inside, throwing my shotgun on the bed. "Quinton!" I heard Saeko shout. "What are you doing?" Waving her off, I grabbed the railing of the stairs, and kept over the top, landing on one knee before moving to the door that lead outside. "QUINTON! STOP!" Saeko shouted, her feet quickly padding down the steps. I kicked open the door just as Saeko reached me, trying to stop me in my path. "What are you thinking? You'll be killed!" Stopping a inch from her, I stared right at her. "If I don't do a thing, a innocent little girl will die. I am not letting my negligent behavior make another human being suffer." Pushing her to the side gently, I went to the garage. Opening the door, I flipped on the switch and scanned the room for a bludgeon. Spotting a brand new sledge hammer to my right, I snatched it up, and turned around, only to be blocked by Saeko. "Please, Saeko. After what i said inside, you should understand why this needs to be done." Saeko stared at me, her grey eyes like storm clouds. Without a word, she stepped to the side. Taking a few steps past her, I stopped. "I need you to hold some things for me." Removing my jacket and pulling off my sunglasses, I put my jacket over her shoulders, and glasses in her hand. "One last thing." I said. Before she could ask what, I swooped in, and planted a swift kiss on her cheek. "Just in case." I said with a grin that probably looked insane. Running for the wall, I took a flying leap, and managed to perch myself on the top. "Keep me covered!" I hollered to Hirano. Running along the top of the wall,I found a clear spot in the hoard. I jumped into the air and rolled into the horde. Immediately rising to my feet, I started swinging, clearing a path to the gate. While in mid swing, a zombie rose to grab me,only to be shot by Hirano's sharp shooting. After a eternity, I managed to make it to the gate. Pushing one final zombie out, I pulled the gate shut. Turning in the lone zombie that managed to make it in, I brought the hammer down on its skull so hard, that I brought the body down with it. Walking past the twitching corpse, I crouched in front of the little girl. "Hey sweetie. Its OK. I'm not gonna hurt you. What's your name?" Sniffing and teary eyed, she looked up at me. "I'm-i'm Alice. Who are you?" Grinning, I helped her stand up. "I'm Quinton. Nice to meet you Alice."