Chapter 9: Home

April

"April you don't have to do this. You might get hurt." Gabrielle pleaded as I got my weapons ready.

"Don't worry about me Gabrielle." I assured her. "Just pray for me okay." I said with a small smile.

A couple of tears escaped her eyes as she stepped forward to hug me.

I wrapped my arms around her shoulders soothingly.

"I'll bring your mother and the rest back. I promise you this Gabby." I told her softly to which she only nodded and sniffed.

We pulled back just as Hugh entered the room.

"I got you a backpack and filled it with whatever you might need. I even added two water bottles for when you get thirsty." He said as he handed me a small bag.

I smiled widely at him.

"Thanks."

"Be careful April." Gabrielle said as she looked me straight in the eyes.

I nodded with a smile before putting my mask on and wearing my hood to hide my hair.

I slung the bag on my back, fixed my swords in position, made sure my gun was in place before saluting my friends and jumping out the window.

It only took me about an hour to reach the WinterHails, Gabrielle's former pack.

The sight made my stomach churn. There were wolves fighting everywhere. The pack house looked like it was burnt as parts of its walls were pitch black.

Windows were broken and only the front door was barely standing on its own.

It was a mess.

The sounds of a wailing kid snapped my head towards the side.

I saw a small girl, about four or five years of age, crying next to what appears to be the body of her father.

He was lying in a pool of his own blood, the life slowly leaving his eyes. He was barely breathing and his heart beats were barely there.

I growled angrily as I saw a blonde wolf approach the little girl and it didn't look friendly whatsoever.

I quickly hopped from my place on the tree to stand directly in front of the wolf, shielding the girl with my body.

I growled loudly at the wolf as he growled back.

The wolf didn't waste time to attack and I didn't waste time to reply.

I quickly drew both my swords and jumped up only to land on the wolf's back as I stabbed him with both my blades, killing him instantly.

I scoffed disgustingly. You're no match for me.

I turned towards the girl who was now looking at me with wide eyes, her crying long forgotten.

I walked towards her carefully as I placed my swords back in place, showing her that I meant no harm.

Once I reached her, I hoisted her father on my shoulder and carried her with my other arm.

I wouldn't say that he wasn't heavy but I wouldn't also lose my strength so soon.

I'm strong! I can do this! I chanted to myself.

Those words helped me every time.

Once I reached the pack house, I called for the pack doctor.

Many people were running around and there was a line of bodies lying on the ground next to each other. They all had their injuries wrapped and thankfully weren't dead. They'll be healing in an hour or so.