Chapter 27: Enough space

April

Recap:

"So, who are the buyers?"

"Serpents."

"But that's not even the good part. The weapons have been tampered with. They're not working."

--

As soon as the words left Hugh's mouth, we all just sat there stunned and unable to react.

I don't get it. I don't get anything now.

Why would they make deals with serpents, our arch enemies? The specie that's been kidnapping and killing our kind ever since they existed.

Are they trying to betray and wipe out the whole werewolf race? But then again, why would they sell them broken weapons?

"Wouldn't the serpents know by now that the weapons aren't of any good?" I asked in confusion.

"They made it as such that they wouldn't fire twice. Only once and then it would jam." Freya answered.

"We're not really sure of the way yet." Hugh piped in. "But also, even if, the first bullet won't cause any severe damage to our kind."

"The bullets are of an iron interior and only the outside coat is silver. The silver percentage in a single bullet isn't enough to kill a werewolf." Freya finished.

I scratched the side of my head vigorously and groaned. This is giving me a headache.

Are they trying to trick the serpents then?

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of a ringing phone.

Turning my head towards the source, I watched as Lucian fished for the mobile in his pocket before answering.

"What do you have for me?" He asked as soon as he picked up.

A couple of seconds passed by as the caller spoke to Lucian but I guess what he said didn't settle well with Lucian.

"What?!" He yelled in both anger and surprise.

I quickly reached out for his hand which instantly calmed him down.

"Do whatever you can. Okay." He said before hanging up.

"What happened?" I asked, more curious than worried to know the answer.

Lucian sighed deeply ad ran a hand down his face before answering.

"The man that we've captured from the train station ran away."

Freya gasped while I scrunched up my face in irritation.

"Were you able to get anything out of him at least?" Hugh asked hopefully.

Lucian shook his head, his expression not the least bit pleased.

"The bastard wouldn't say a word." He growled as he glared at the carpet on the floor.

"I'm sure they helped him out. After all, they were able to reach the royal beta and kill him." I stated matter of factly.

"Yeah. I still have to talk to my father about that and investigate more at the palace. He was very angry about his 'missing' beta when I went to talk to him this morning. Wouldn't speak with anyone and was throwing a fit in his office."

Hugh and I shared a look.

It seems that the king doesn't know that his beta is dead. Just that he's missing.