Chapter 28: Snake Bites

April

"J-Janeen. I-is it true?" I asked in a shaky whisper.

Janeen looked at me with sorrow filled eyes and nodded hesitantly.

"I'm really sorry sweetheart."

"Th-then who are...." I trailed off, unable to finish the sentence. But she understood what I meant.

Janeen held my gaze for a couple of seconds, her eyes glazing over.

"Doyle." My eyes widened.

No.

"You're Doyle's illegitimate child."

And that's when I burst into hysterical laughter.

---

24 hours earlier...

I snapped my head towards my small window at the familiar sounds of battle howls.

I quickly dropped the towel that I had in my hand and rushed to see what's going on outside, and to my horror, a group of what seemed to be about seven hundred wolves were attacking us.

I rushed downstairs, watching as people yelled at each other and ran everywhere.

Some of the men where ushering the women, children and elderly to the safe house while the others where readying themselves for battle. It was only a secret annex in the house that we built years ago for a situation like this.

Our warriors were already fighting fiercely, not leaving any room for mercy.

I removed my gaze from the window that showed the fighting wolves and started helping with the movement of the weak towards the safe house.

It'll be best to make sure that they are safe first before going out to fight.

Uncle Adam thought the same as he too was helping move them.

He didn't wait till the end though before going out and engaging himself in the fight.

After making sure that everyone who can't fight was safe, I started making my way to my room but was stopped mid way.

"April, where are you going?" One of the pack men, whom I recognised as Dave asked.

I turned around to look at him, not knowing what to say but then decided to settle for the truth. Things have already gotten this far and I can't act like I'm weak and not fight.

This is my pack and I'm the alpha.

"To help you guys fight." I answered truthfully.

He and the other three men left started laughing and shaking their heads.

"Okay April. Come on. Just get to the safe house." Dave said between chuckles and held my upper arm, in an attempt to drag me to the safe house.

I held his hand in return and in one swift movement, I flipped his body and threw it to the ground.

The other three men stopped their chuckles and looked at the scene wide eyed.

"I'm more than capable of fighting." I said before making my way again to my room.

I put on my earpiece first thing and called for Hugh.

"Right here April." He answered back.

"Hugh, I need every piece of information you can provide about those wolves. Their exact number, where are they coming from and anything else you can find." I ordered as I rushed to ready my weapons.