Chapter 33: Call me Monster

April

I looked at Lucian in utmost shock and disbelief but soon those feelings turned to guilt.

Kristoff was his still father and I bet anyone would want to watch their parent die and do nothing about it. It hurts even more that the person doing the killing is your own mate.

I shifted my gaze away from him and forced myself to gain interest in the grass beneath my paws.

Not a few moments later, I felt someone nuzzling his snout in my neck and I had no doubt in my mind on who it was as warmth spread throughout my body.

I couldn't react though and kept my gaze turned away until I felt him nudge the side of my face.

Looking up, I got taken aback as my eyes met Kristoff.

There was a small, golden wolf standing over his body, licking his wounds and nudging him with its head to get up from his lying position.

I looked in confusion at Lucian.

"Freya." He informed me through the mind link, answering the question that I had in mind and as soon as the word hit me, I instantly felt so stupid.

Embarrassment was eating me away and I just wanted to go dig a hole and die there.

I was so consumed by my anger earlier that I didn't notice Freya running towards her father as I charged at him. Lucian must've seen her and thankfully pushed me out of the way before I accidently hurt her.

Lucian muzzled his face in my neck again in reassurance. He then turned to Freya and his father.

Freya took a protective stance over her father's body, who was now sitting straight with a smug look on his face.

Being the coward that he was, he hid behind his daughter.

Since I was standing next to Lucian, I couldn't see his eyes but Freya's were easy to look at as they glazed over, indicating that she was mid linking Lucian.

She growled lowly at him and he responded with an authoritative, warning one.

They were both caught up in their argument that they didn't realise Kristoff trying to escape.

I growled loudly at him, making him stop in his tracks and making everyone else look at me.

"Sorry." He mumbled as he glanced back at Freya before shifting into his grey wolf and sprinting to the woods.

With another loud growl, I attempted to run after him when I was stopped with a blonde wolf growling at me as she blocked my way.

I narrowed my eyes at her but she wouldn't have any of it as she continued on with her growling.

It didn't take her long before she turned around and started running after her father.

To be honest, I didn't want to go after them, for Freya's sake.

She was still a little girl, only a teenager with her life ahead of her. Killing her father wouldn't do her good and I don't think I'd be able to live with it if something happened to her because of it, or because of me for that matter.

Suddenly, a loud growl followed by a painful howl sounded through the air.

Our heads immediately snapped to where Freya and Kristoff headed and in a matter of seconds, both Lucian and I were sprinting towards the sound.

I could hear a couple more footsteps running after us but I didn't have time or the mind to care and look behind.

Reaching the scene, both Lucian and I growled angrily, mixing in with Kristoff's growls towards a wounded Freya.