Chapter 17: Hurt

Lucian

I was the happiest that I could ever be as I stood there with Rose in my arms.

She fit in between them perfectly and I couldn't help my sigh in content.

My heart swelled when she revealed why she was pushing me away. She wanted to protect me but like I said, who would protect her, and it was obviously my job to.

She finally allowed me to help her but to promise to leave her behind if something happened.

She was insane! Like I would really ever do that.

I didn't argue back with her as she looked at me sternly. I weighted my options and decide to promise but not before crossing my fingers first.

I know that she would probably have my head if she found out but I had no choice.

How can she expect me to leave her and save myself?

As I looked down into her beautiful emerald eyes, I couldn't help but want her to remove that dreadful mask so that I could see her full face.

Our moment was cut short when she gasped out, her face quickly contorting to that of pain.

I instinctively called out to her as she seemed to have started losing response.

I shifted my gaze to her now bleeding shoulder only to find an arrow protruding from it.

I growled angrily as my eyes searched for whoever did it.

I couldn't search for long though since I felt Rose's body limp and started falling as her legs failed to hold her anymore.

I quickly caught her body before it touched the hard ground.

I was calling out for her, pleading for her to stay awake and not slip into unconsciousness.

She didn't answer though and no matter how much I called, she wouldn't respond.

I watched as her eyes rolled to the back of her head before her eyelids closed.

My heart ached at the sight of her like that but my emotions were soon turned to those of rage.

Whoever did this to my mate is dead.

I heard footsteps running towards us and with a menacing growl I snapped my head to the culprits.

I looked in shock as I saw my father's guards approaching in their blue and black uniforms.

A couple archers were marching up the front, their arrows readily aimed at Rose.

Vilkas growled loudly inside of me, his growl erupting from deep within my chest.

They were aiming at my mate, at my Rose!

I didn't wait for them to come any closer or for one of them to hit her with his arrow again so I copied my mate's actions and jumped with my werewolf speed and strength to the neatest tree branch, holding Rose's limp body in my hands.

I heard the sound of one of the archers readying to shoot but then someone whom I noticed as my father's beta, stopped him before he did.

I jumped from tree to tree just like how I saw her doing and realised why she loved doing it so much.

It was a fast escape and the obstacles above weren't as much as on the ground, plus, it was good way to hide.

I felt the cool night air hit my face as I hurriedly jumped around.