Chapter 25: The beast within

April

I took in a deep breath as I tried to calm my shaking body.

As slowly as ever, I folded the paper before shutting my eyes tight and throwing my head back trying to gain control over my nerves.

After what seemed like forever, I hurriedly went to where I was hiding my ear piece and called for Hugh to come quickly.

Because of my soundproof walls that Hugh helped me install secretly, no one was able to hear my scream earlier which saved me a lot of unwanted explanation.

Hugh didn't take much time before he was knocking on my bedroom door.

I got up on shaky legs and went to open the door.

"April? What's wrong?" He asked as worry started showing on his face. He must've noticed my pale and life-drained face.

Without a word, I stepped aside, giving him access to come in with Gabrielle following suit.

"What happened sweetie?" She asked as she placed a hand on my shoulder.

Honestly, right now, I felt too weak to talk and I knew that if I attempted to let a word out, my voice will be shaky and uneven.

"What's that smell?" Hugh asked with a scrunched up nose.

I quietly handed him the paper.

He furrowed his eyebrows at me before taking it and started reading.

His eyes widened as they went through the words before they came up to meet mine.

"Th-they know." He stated the obvious.

Gabrielle gasped from beside me, understanding exactly what her mate meant.

Knowing that I had to show them the head sooner or later, I pointed a shaky finger to where it laid on my dirty clothes inside the box.

They both followed my finger and in a matter of seconds, they were both gasping loudly and Hugh was standing in front of Gabrielle and I as in to shield us with his body.

There is no real threat at the moment but I guess it's instinctual to shield us with his body in situations like these.

"I-is that the royal beta Oliver Sting?" Hugh gaped out.

"Yeah." I replied in a whisper, finally finding my voice, if only a little.

"We have to get you out of here." Hugh muttered to himself, his words helping me gain back my senses.

"Out of here?" I repeated. "Out of here where Hugh? This is my house, my room!"

"I know that April, but it's dangerous now." Hugh pleaded.

"No. I'm not going anywhere. When was I ever weak or afraid of anyone Hugh? Yeah, they've surprised me and made me poop my heart out, but that doesn't mean that I'll run away." I fought back.

No way am I leaving my place behind and running away like some coward and if anyone of those scumbags want to fight me then I'm ready to take them head on!

"Don't be stubborn April." Hugh growled at me making me growl back.

"It's not your call to make." I snarled at him. "Right now, my room is safe since there is no one else here but us. I'll easily just get rid of that head, lock my door and sleep like a baby." I said, sarcasm dripping with my every word.

But I'm not showing my weakness, not to my parents' killers, not to Hugh and not to anyone. That's not who I am.

Hugh sighed deeply as he ran a hand down his face, knowing that I'm not backing down.