Chapter Thirteen

13:34PM

Matt has exactly an hour and eleven minutes left at work then he's back home and all mine. He offered to pick me up when he's done and I expect him to be here, at most, twenty minutes after he's done working. I've called Maria and Theo, and I've told them where to meet me. We're supposed to be eating in a small vegan diner only a five minute walk from HQ. The diner is so close, you can see the building.

I've decided to make it my mission to find out the truth behind Matt's mother's death. I can only do that by doing what Matthew, himself, does best. I have to manipulate those close to me. We all know he does it.

13:36PM

Maria and Theo walk through the door and I wave at them so they know where to sit. Maria looks beautiful, but I guess that's just her. She's wearing a sleeveless, sheer, white blouse—and a white bra underneath it—with denim shorts. Her pillow-soft legs are bare and small sized sneakers cover her feet. Her strawberry blonde hair is braided to one side so beautifully. The colour is so rich, it glistens in the sun. On her arm, Theo walks beside her in a white T shirt and washed out blue shorts. His legs are acutely hairy and he's wearing huge truck-like trainers.

They both sit opposite me in the booth and I can tell they're holding hands.

"Hey!" I smile.

"Hi! How are you?" Maria smiles back

"I'm doing good, thanks! What about you two."

"I'm doing great. Theo, on the other hand, is in a little fit." She giggles.

"Why?" I ask.

"I'm not in a fit." Theo grunts

I pout, "aww is the wittle baby upset?"

Maria throws her head back and laughs. I truly do not understand how a woman can be so beautiful.

Once she's done, she says, "he always gets like this after seeing you know who."

"Who?" I cock my head to one side.

"That bastard Matthew." Theo growls.

Bastard? That's a bit strong. They're meant to be cousins.

"Why don't you like Matt?" I ask

"After everything he's done—ow!" He jumps and Maria glares at him.

"What has he done?"

"It's not our place to say. I'm sorry Lisette." Maria sighs

"Please, call me Liz."

"Well then, Liz," Theo mocks, "I think you should stay away from Matt. You're a sweet girl and he's poison."

I slam my fist on the table, "don't ever talk about him like that!" I hiss.

The hollywood couple stare at me in disbelief and remote fear. I fiddle with my fingers and Theo chuckles softly.

"I knew it! I called it, didn't I?" Theo laughs.

Maria slaps his shoulder, "shut up! You don't know."

"Just look at her!" He leans in, "tell me, was it a quickie or did he make it worth your while?"

"Theodore Presley Legato!" Maria exclaims.

They have the same last name. So is she Maria Legato?

"It's okay," I say, "Matt and I haven't had sex yet so whatever you were getting at, you should reconsider."

"You haven't had sex!" Theo laughs.

"I'm Christian. It's normal for me."

"That hardly changes anything. Everyone's having sex before marriage now and so will you."