Chapter Fifteen

A/N: PLEASE READ SO THERE IS NO CONFUSION!!!!!!!

Okay, since in the book Katniss had been passed out for three days due to tracker jacker stings and her and Rue didn't do anything til the next day and we have no idea what was going on with the Careers at that time, I'm just going to skip to the fourth day and make flashbacks to the days that I skipped through out the book. Just so you know. Thanks :) 

Chapter Fifteen

The clouds of gray smoke plumed up from the forest in several directions.

"They're trying to trick us," Clove says, "Why else would they be lighting fires in the middle of the day?"

She had a point, and I had a plan. 

"Marvel, go to that fire," I said pointing to the one that had just started to smoke. "They're traveling fast so they're going to be careless.

He nods and runs in the direction I pointed to. I grab the District Three tribute, "Don't you dare let anything happen to our supply. If you do, I'll kill you." 

His eyes widen, and I know I've done my job. "C'mon Clove," I say grabbing for her hand, but I catch myself. Instead, my hand envelops her wrist as I pull her toward the fires. 

She gets close enough to whisper in my ear, "Are you really going to kill him?" she asks, her eyes distressed. 

"One less person for us to worry about," I remind her. 

She looks back up at me, and I watch as her eyes turn from soft to hard. She was always too good at that. At times I find it scary. She's almost too good at it. Turning from my Clove, to a girl I don't know.

I need to talk to her. Sometime soon. Somewhere the Capitol wouldn't see, but that's impossible. They are everywhere. How could we escape them?

I need to tell her the most important thing. I need to find a place where i can kiss her again and hold her hand. Just hold her so I know she's safe. I don't want her to die. I don't want her to leave me. 

"Cat, c'mon!" Clove yells as I realize she's 10 yards in front of me. 

Cat, I think to myself. She's letting herself slip more and more. Either she doesn't realize or she doesn't care anymore. I'm pretty sure it's the second one.

She has good reason too. They rejected her token. They obviously knew it meant the world to her. The Capitol just wanted to mess with her. With us all. Like they always do. 

I'm starting to regret ever volunteering in the first place. I shouldn't have. I knew Clove could've won this thing on her own. But now, I have to die for her to win. 

So much for wanting to spend forever with her...

A boom sounds in the distance. "Cannon?" Clove asks. 

"No," I say. "That was too uncontrolled to be a cannon." 

Then I realize what it was. "Our supplies!" I yell and I start running back to camp.

I hear Clove liht running steps behind me as we break out into the clearing and see the remains of our pyramid. 

The boy for District Three just stands there, looking at the remains. 

"WHAT THE HELL!" I yel at the top of my lungs and I'm instantly in front of him. "I told you to look over the supplies!"

He stumbles back stammering, but before my brain has the time to register what he's saying. My hands make his way to his neck and jerks it violently to the right. He drops down dead. 

"Cato!" Clove yells for behind me. I turn around and see her. Her eyes red. 

The cannon sounds in the distance and I register what I've just done. I've been trained to kill, Clove knows that. But I guess seeing me actually do it has surprised her. 

I walk towards her and she steps back from me hestitantly. "Clo," I whisper and she flings herself into me sobbing. "It's okay, shh, it's okay," I say softly. She's still crying and I stare at the boys lifeless body. 

I pick up Clove bridal style and carry her out of the clearing so the hovercraft can pick up his body. 

We set down in a piece of brush and I hold her. After a while, two cannon blasts sound. 

When it gets dark and the Capitol Anthem sounds I see all the dead of today. 

District Three,

District Eleven,

and Marvel. 

Clove is sound asleep in my arms, it's only us now.

Together.