Chapter Seven

"Yeah the arena," Clove says quietly. Then I realise what I said.

The Games start tomorrow.

She gets up and goes to her room. She shuts the door and I stand in front of it. "Hey, let me in?" I ask through the door. I get no response. Then I hear it. The crying. I bust down the door the best I can with out breaking it and see Clove against the wall on the floor. "C'mon Clo, you gotta get up, we still have interviews." She shakes her head. "Yes, you have to get up."  She still refuses. I sigh and sit down next to her. "Okay, whats the matter?" I ask. 

"It's just the thought that... Either one or both of us will be dead in the next few weeks." She buries her face in her hands. 

I lift up her head and make sure she won't pull away from me. I slowly wipe the tears away from her face  with my thumb and fore finger. "You did that when we were six. After I fell from the tree." Clove whispers softly. And instantly I remember. 

Clove and I had been playing tag in the little forest that surrounded the Nut and Clove was it. I was way ahead of her and started to climb a tree after a dead end. Clove tried to climb after me but fell from 20 feet of the ground. I climbed down as quickly as I could. She was crying and I wiped away all the tears that she shed. 

"Yeah, I guess I did." I mumble. I get up ad offer Clove my hand. She takes it and gets up. Soon, her stylist and Dewlin come and we're being prepped by our prep teams for our interviews. 

I wear a silver suit with black shirt underneath with matching pants. I don't take long to get ready and I'm out in the hall waiting for Clove. She takes loads longer but I guess that's what happens when your a girl.

I'm half startled when the door to her room opens and her prep team comes out. In a few moments, she stepped out in an orange dress that flows to the ground. It tightens around her waist and hips. 

"Wow," is all I can manage, but she looks better than that.

"Thanks," she says blushing, "not to bad yourself." We're ready to depart and we watch Glimmer and Marvel go on. Soon it's Clove's turn and she blows the audience away. Then I'm up. I sit down next to Caesar Flickerman. We start with idle chit chat and then he asks the hard question.

"So Cato, if I may ask, why did you volunteer at the reaping?" 

I reply quickly, "I volunteered because I feel like I have a good chance of winning. I'm strong and fast and can do almost anything to survive." He asks other questions and then the buzzer goes off and my time is up. I lead a pathway to an underground chamber where the tributes can watch the rest of the interviews after they've gone. 

"Nice cover up." Clove says sitting on the couch watching a huge screen in front of her. 

"What?" I ask confused.

"Ceasar's first question." she reminds me. 

"Oh, yeah." I sit down next to her and Glimmer comes up and practicallly sits on my lap. We watch the rest of the interviews. The last one wasn't that surprising for me. After the way that the District Twelve tributes were during training, it's no surprise that Peeta, or Lover Boy, has a love interest with his fellow tribute.