Chapter Seventeen

We managed to pick out some food, and survival supplies from the burning rubble.

"Well, at least it's just the both of us," Clove says lightly. I can tell she's uneasy. The games are almost finished and she knows what will happen in the end.

Me, dead...

I shake the thought away. It had been coming back more frequently now. Guess I'm trying to find a way to accept it all. I'll never get to be with Clove, not completely at least.

"Time for bed Clo," I tell her as I sit down on the cold ground and pull her close to me. She buries her head in my chest and breathes deeply.

"Cat?" She asks, her voice muffled from my coat.

"Yeah?"

She looks up at me, her eyes shining, "I don't want to leave you..."

I don't know how to respond. My voice catches in my throat. Nothing comes out of my open mouth. Clove looks at me, then leans in and places a soft kiss on my lips. It's so soft and sweet, like a butterfly sitting in the palm of your hand. She pulls back and settles down next to me.

"Night Cat. Sleep tight," she says yawning.

Why couldn't she make this easier for me? Doesn't she know this is killing me? I don't want to die, not when I know that she'll be alive somewhere happy without me... I know she'll have to move on after all of this, but part if me wants her to not get over me... To stay in love with me.

Her small body was so warm in my arms. As my eyelids became heavy, I pulled her closer and fell asleep.