Chapter Ten

We start piling all the supplies in the Cornicopia into the clearing near our base camp. It wasn't my idea,  and to Clove and me, it sounds stupid, but we do it anyway. Soon we have a neat pyramid, but it seems defensless.

We sit at our base camp, waiting for darkness. There's a rustle in the trees ahead of us. Clove sees something and sends a knife into the foilage. We hear a cry of agony and are on our feet. Glimmer goes into the foilage and drags out a boy. Due to the gray metalic color of his jacket I know his district. 

"District Three." I say aloud. "Technology." 

"Should we kill him?" asks Glimmer keeping him down. 

I look over to the platforms where just a few hours ago, were ticking landmines ready to blow. 

"I think he can solve a dilema." I direct my speech to him. "Can you dig up those landmines and reactivate them?" 

He nods.

"Then do it!" I yell at him.

He gets up and scramble over to the first platform. "What do we need the landmines for?" Marvel asks.

"To protect the supplies." Clove says clearly knowing my plan. 

In a few short hours all the needed land mines are placed strategically around the pyramid. As the sun goes down a column of smoke rises to the east.

"Let's go hunting." Clove whispers. I force District Three to stay and protect the supplies. And then we start toward the smoke. The sun goes down and it's farther away from base camp than we thought. 

But soon we see a light of fire in the distance. We get quieter so the tribute doesn't know we're coming. I have to pull Lover boy along for some of the trek but his clumsy foot snaps a twig. The girl tribute comes into sight and she's startled. I throw Lover boy to the ground and run for the girl. She screams.

"Please! No!" she starts crying. "Please!" I roll my eyes. 

We're in the arena. That's not going to help you.

I swing the sword so it slits her neck and then stab her in the stomach. "Good job Cato." Clove says. I noticed that she hasn't called me Cat since we came into the arena. Maybe she doesn't want the cameras to know. 

"Thanks." I smile. We hear a rustle in the back and go towards it.