Chapter Eight

Clove and I go up to our floor and change out of our clothes for our normal ones. We watch recaps of the interveiws but the only thing they're talking about are the Starcrossed Lovers of District Twelve. I get tired of the Capitol's sympathy for them after about five minutes in and get up. I head to my roombut before I open the door, Clove catches my wrist. "Cat," she whispers,"I... I don't want to be alone tonight."

I turn around and see her face, sad and innocent. How she can change it so quickly and mask her real feelings appauls me. "Okay," I nod. I let her in and she goes to the bed and settles down. I can't help but get in with her. 

"You know what Cat?" 

"What?"

Clove pauses, "I know we've never said it but... You know when I started to," she stops, "to... love you?"

I'm taken back by what she said. 

Love me?

"When?" 

"When we were six, playing tag, and I fell out of the tree going after you." Her eyes are closed and she's smiling. 

I can't help but smile too. "I love you too." we both fall sound asleep afterwards.

"What do we have here?" I hear Dewlin's voice. I open my eyes and she's standing there with Clove's stylist. "Forget about the starcrossed lovers of District Twelve! We have the starcrossed lovers of Distreict Two!" Clove wakes up next and her eyes widen.

"Don't-"

"Don't worry, your secret's safe with us." says Clove's stylist interupting. "Besides, you have to get to your Launch Room." she says grabbing Clove and whisking her out the door. Dewlin does the same and we go up to the rooftop where a silver hovercraft is waiting for us. A ladder floats down. I grab onto the rungs and it's as if I can't move an inch. The ladder is taken up into the hovercraft and a lady in a white coat comes with a syringe thats bigger than my fists and sticks it in my arm. I know what it is as soon as it enters my arm.

My tracker.

They do the same for Clove and then were given a private room while we wait to arrive at the arena. Clove looks out the window until they go black. We're approaching the arena and soon will be fighting to the death. We're transported to the Stockyard, as it's called in the Districts, and every tribute gets there very own room. I will be the only tribute to ever use this room.

Dewlin comes in with my outfit for the Games. This year, they gave each District a different color, which seems unfair to some due to the fact that some of the colors will blend in with the foilage better. District Two's color is brown. I'm given a Brown jacket with a tan shirt and khaki cargo pant and boots with treads that will be good for running.

"Do you have a token?" she asks me. 

I nod. I pull out a crayon, a green one. Fendle slipped it in my pocket when he was saying goodbye to me. It's his favorite one. "It's from my brother." 

"Isn't that sweet." she whispers. 

A glass tube comes down from a hole in the ceiling. I get in and hear parting words from Dewlin before the tube shuts. "You can win this." The platform below me rises up and I'm in darkness for awhile until light shines from up top. In a few seconds, I'm lifted up into the arena, and the 60 second countdown begins.