XIV

Listen while you read:
NCS Alan Walker - Fade

_______________________________

As Lauren drove her eyes were noticeably red in exhaustion. She blinked a few times to keep herself awake while Ally, Dinah, and Camila slept in the back. Normani kept flipping the map around to make sure she was reading it right. Lauren kept to the road where she passed many creos who couldn't keep up with the speed of their car.

"Okay, it looks like we're in McMinn." Normani said slowly, slightly unsure about their whereabouts. "So just keep going down this road and we'll eventually be in Polk."

Lauren nodded and attempted to stay awake, but her eyes were feeling heavy. The road was getting blurry from the small tired tears forming in her eyes. Her body was feeling limp as her eyes were beginning to close. Suddenly her head begins to lower and she's driving off road.

"Lauren!" Normani yells waking the woman up.

Lauren's eyes shot open as she quickly pulls the steering wheel causing a loud screech to break the silence around them and wake the three girls up in a fright. When she gets back onto the road they hear a loud bang as though they just broke the sound barrier. Suddenly, Lauren loses control once more causing her to stop in the middle of nowhere. Lauren rubs her eyes in frustration; frustration that she fell asleep at the wheel. She then exits the car angrily kicking the door, slamming it shut. The girls flinch and Normani gets out to check out the problem as well.

Normani walks over to where Lauren stood angrily looking at the car with her arms resting above her head. The Texan walks around to see that they've popped a tire and sighs.

"Shit. Do we have a spare?" Lauren shakes her head in frustration. "Damn it. Well we can't be far from a city. We'll look for an auto shop." Normani suggested. Lauren nodded her head as she took slow deep breaths with her eyes closed, attempting to calm herself.

Dinah and the others then exit the car with worried expressions, "What's the problem?"

"Popped tire." Normani said rubbing her eyes.

Dinah sighs, "Well let's spend the night in the car and find out how to fix it in the morning."

As Dinah was about to enter the car once more, there were loud and horrible growls in the distance. Everyone stopped in their spot and listened. They all looked down the road, but couldn't see a thing in the darkness. Ally pointed her flashlight at the growls, but that didn't do much help either with seeing in the obscure. Suddenly, the sounds stopped. Each girl looked at one another worrisome and looked back.

When they looked down the road, a creo leaped in view and jumped onto Ally and knocking her down. Lauren acted fast and grabbed the creos head and twisted it. Its limp body fell on top of Allyson, who then pushed it off and quickly backed away. Dinah and Normani helped the short woman to her feet when the horrible growls began to get louder.

"We gotta go." Dinah said.

"Where?"

The growls now sounded fairly close, "Anywhere, but here!" Dinah exclaimed before pulling Normani to run. They all began running except for Camila, who still tried seeing one of the beasts. Lauren noticed this and sighed in irritation before grabbing the brunettes arm and pulling her away until she finally began running.

The creos jumped over the car as some pounced onto it. Each girl was running for their life. They ran with everything they could, but it wasn't fast enough due to the fact that they were all still pretty tired. Lauren could hear the foul noises getting closer and closer to a point where she could practically hear them breathing. Out of reaction Lauren pushed Camila to the side and pulled out her knife before turning around just in time to see the beast running at her. Lauren stopped and planted her feet firmly on the ground before driving her knife into the creos head and dropping it.